Quick prime rib question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

turfmunch

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I finally decided on prime rib. My question is about timing. It's a 6# prime rib and I plan to smoke it at 275 degrees.

So that I have a rough idea about when to put it on, can anyone give me a ballpark idea about how long to leave it in so that it hits about 130 degrees?

Thanks much.

I was also planning on tossing in some B size red potatoes. Does anyone know a good way to go about it?

Try about 15 minutes per lb. Cooking at 225 to 250*. Use a meat thermo. Times are only estimates.
Goodluck.

I agree, times are only estimates and should be used sparingly and only for planning purposes. For a good PM, I would say smoke until it reaches 140 degrees F, regardless of time.

Its supposed to be around 36 tomorrow with some slight wind.

I am using a MES.

Most of what I have read on here has said to smoke it to 125-130 degrees for medium rare prime rib. wouldnt 140 be too much?

I will, of course, be smoking to temp but I'd like to have a rough idea about how long it will take so I can make somewhat of a plan

Lawdog....your post was one of the ones I read prior to starting this. It looks like it too about 5 hours start to finish but you were adjusting temps throughout...right? If I smoke a little cooler...say 250...how long would you guess to get med rare in the middle.

Munch,
The next one I do will set in about 250 and for shorter time. mine was to done( have checked internal temp on MES since to learn about 25* high from digital setting), please use remot thermo. taste was great but as I say, tip its horns, wipe it's a** and throw it on the plate when it comes to PR. I mainly was trying to go for a flavor of a local resturaunt that my wife loves the PR from and will try to hit the mark for med rare.
I will adjust temps to compensate for factory overkill and still smoke to "temp" on the next one, which by the way may not be until next thanksgiving because my bride says is to expensive of a cut of meat to smoke very often.
again I can't stress enough go by temp.......not time.

Lawdog

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky