Quick Little Brisket(flat) Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alx

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis,Maryland
Did not feel like traveling 25 miles to little beirut(baltimore) to get a real packer(restaurant depot) and found a 7.89 pound angus flat with a tad bit of point to it.

Rubbed with a little seasoned salt,celery salt,Lots of malabar b.pepper,garlic and onion powder and ground bay leaf...

She was 6.5 pounds after trimming fat and a odd ball hunk of point..

Smoked at 225 degree for 2.5 hours and put in pan and foiled.Opened vents till she rode at 275 degree for another 1 hour 45 minutes...

Never checked internal,but she passed the probe test at this point.

Took some beef stock and drippings mixed up and gave her some pizaz before coolering 3 hours..

Ready to slice....

I saved the thicker part toward point for later meals and had some of the thinner flat with beans,canned tomato,chile powders blah-blah from garden....Forgot which pepper powder i used,but she had a kick...

Thats a tasty looking brisket Alex.
I was intrigued by the injection after smoking and before putting in the cooler, does it seem to make the brisket more tender or add flavor differently than before smoking?

Good looking brisket Alex, and I found your idea of injecting after the smoke interesting. thanks for sharing.

Awesome looking brisket Alex.
points.gif

Injecting after cooking and then resting is an old secret for us pros..LOL.

Very common in certain circles(comps etc.),but not seen/done alot...

Full packers are better,but take your foil juices(add some other stuff) and inject a butt before resting and....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double injecting is done alot...Before smoke and then before resting....Works great on chicken too etc........

You can definetly change the profile Jim... doing this type injection thingy...

That looks great. You've set the bar high man, I'm doing a flat of almost identical size tomorrow. Cool idea also injecting before rest, i might have to try that.

Very nice looking brisket. First I have heard of the injection before resting -- sounds like a goo idea. Every day I learn something new here!

Thanks for sharing.

The last couple briskets that I have done were very juicy an all. I'm wondering if this injecting before resting sounds like a great idea i'm just wondering if you really need it. But leave it to you alex to make me want to say HHMMMMM.

very interesting there buddy!!! that injection sounds interesting... you could even play around with that if you wanted... that was what you call a quickie briskie eh!!!
points.gif

Mark- i mainly do it when the flat looks like it could use some pep...Not as much for juice as flavor....It works way better on Butts..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky