Quick brisket temp question?.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beerdelman

Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
I have a 10lb brisket on now and have two temp probes in.  One is in flat side and other is in thick point.  I have about a 20 degree difference between the two of coarse the point being the lowest.  My question is which one do I go by for correct IT?? I dont want to go over on one side to get the other to temp.  Any help would be great 

I am at 173 in flat at this point and 160 now in the point.  I got this in the smoke about 515 and it s now 920......4 hours and no bark!!  Way to fast and only at 240-250.  Should I wrap this or just let it go,  and will it dry out if I dont wrap it??

And higher temps like 240-250 you're going to see your meat stall at a higher temp. That thing might not stall till 180 and it may stay at 180 for 2-3 hours.

You can either wrap it or not wrap -- that's a chef's choice - and there are strong opinions in both camps.

I did wrap my last brisket and it was done alot earlier than expected which is in the situation I am in now.  I wouldnt mind it stalling right now so it would take some smoke and bark but I also dont want it to dry out.  I plan on doing burnt ends also so should I wait for it to be done finish temp  or should I seperate and rest the tip a bit now (175) and start those?

Just did a re check and my flat is actually at 158 and the tip is at 178....I guess I had the probes mixed up so the flat is actually lower than the point.  That seems strange to me but never know with meat I guess

Yup I think im gonna do something different and go no foil this time.  bought this piece for 1.68lb so good one to try something on.   Should I pull it at 190 or closer to 200?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky