Questions on pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cdias

Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Easton, Ca
Im going to try doing pulled pork for the first time on my electric smoker any pointers on what temp i should run and how long it will take?

Reactions: foamheart
Hey Chris, you are going to get many answers to that question cause everyone has there own methods and all will produce some great results.

Personally I smoke low and slow at about 235F. Time is never guaranteed but would suggest you start a little sooner and give it a longer rest in a cooler filled with towels to keep it hot til you are ready to eat.

Here is a chart that might help you (but always take it with a grain of salt!);

Howdy Chris.... I smoke butts at 205-210 for up to 18 hours.... My thinking is time tenderizes the meat... usually 185 for 2-3 hours and it's tender and moist...

Hey Chris, you are going to get many answers to that question cause everyone has there own methods and all will produce some great results.

Personally I smoke low and slow at about 235F. Time is never guaranteed but would suggest you start a little sooner and give it a longer rest in a cooler filled with towels to keep it hot til you are ready to eat.

Here is a chart that might help you (but always take it with a grain of salt!);
I agree with Knifebld.

Also take note that weight of a hunk of meat doesn't have as much to do with how long it takes as the Thickness of that piece of meat does.

Here is a Butt for Pulled Pork done in an electric smoker, with the times & temps included:

Pulled Boston Pork Butt

Bear

Last edited:
Mr. Low and slow here, I suggest if you want to eat Saturday, you smoke it Friday. Sunday, you smoke it Saturday. Pork is 100% unpredictible, My last two butts, same weight, cooked exactly the same way, one was done in 29 hours the other was done in only 13 hours. These are some real extremes even for me, but it shows how different two cutts of the same meats may cook.

My greatest suggestion to you is, leave the door closed. Not only do you lose that cooking time, but you then must also recoup the lost temperature with an electric which recoups lost heat very poorly, I have seen as much as 15 mins. mentioned in posts but if its just 10 mins., you open once and hour thinking you need to mop, spritz, or sauce, of a 12 hour smoke. You have have added 2 hours to the cooking time.

And Electric maintains a very precise cooking temp (good), it holds mosture great (it needs no addition hunidity), and you don't need to tend your fire (You can sleep all night instead of drinking and tending the fire) Wait that might not be a good thing in your eyes. LOL

One of the oldtimers around here has a one word suggestion to all smokers and its really all thats needed, "Patience". Remember no stress, enjoy it, and the meat and the smoker will work it all out if you'll just leave them alone and let them.

BTW I Highly suggest you check out Chef JJ's finishing sauce and bend it to your will. Its the finest thing for pulled pork, since store bought ready sliced bread!

Last edited:
I am going to go against the grain and suggest hot and fast. Not sure how high your electric smoker gets but 275-300 works great. Makes it easy to predict when it will be done as there is little to no stall.

This batch of porky goodness was cooked in that temp range and took 1 hour per pound.

One thing I gotta add here:

No matter what kind of smoker you have (Electric, Gas, Wood, Charcoal), unless you have it away from your house or anything else you care about, before you go to bed, put the Fire Dept on Speed Dial.

I've been smoking for 6 years & grilling for 50 years, and I have never done any of it while sleeping.

Bear

Reactions: bigace

One thing I gotta add here:

No matter what kind of smoker you have (Electric, Gas, Wood, Charcoal), unless you have it away from your house or anything else you care about, before you go to bed, put the Fire Dept on Speed Dial.

I've been smoking for 6 years & grilling for 50 years, and I have never done any of it while sleeping.

Bear
But what about drinking?? huh? huh?

50 years? Ms. Bear must have been a child bride, you pervert, you cradle robber!

Last edited:

But what about drinking?? huh? huh?

50 years? Ms. Bear must have been a child bride, you pervert, you cradle robber!
LOL----Actually I've been smoking for 53 years, but the first 47 was Lucky Strike & Marlboro. The last 6 was Meat.

And don't tell her I told you, but Mrs Bear is actually older than I am, although she looks better.

And you can drink all night---It won't burn your house down.

Bear

Last edited:
Are you confused yet? I am! I'm with the low and slow crowd. 225 degrees, two hours per pound and two hour rest double wrapped in foil with some apple juice or PBR and into the cooler for the rest.

Are you confused yet? I am! I'm with the low and slow crowd. 225 degrees, two hours per pound and two hour rest double wrapped in foil with some apple juice or PBR and into the cooler for the rest.
I was wondering what that was.

Around here that would be what we call "Pabst Blue Ribbon".

Bear

Around here PBR could mean either.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
   One thing for sure, it would take someone a lot bigger than me to foil a Brama.  
ROTF.gif

T

Ain't that military experience great?

Marlboro and Camels
LOL---Aint that the truth!!

Started with Luckies, then switched to Marlboro.

Then when I got in the Army I switched back to Luckies, because they're easier to Field Strip.

Then back to Marlboro when I got out of the Army & no longer had to field strip.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky