Questions for Thanksgiving work potluck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kurd2408

Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Unfortunately I have to work the evening of Thanksiving. We are having a potluck and since I have the morning off I think I'll smoke something. Been going back and forth about what to make. Right now still planning on something with turkey but others may bring turkey too so if anyone has crazy suggestions then bring them on. Just needs to be a main course meat, but no ham. 

I don't have the time or energy for a whole turkey, plus wouldn't be good for my group. So, I'm trying to decide between Jeff's latest articles and either do a couple of the boneless breasts or do a dozen or so legs. Any suggestions? Breasts are easy and good but legs are a little more unique and good.

I do have a couple questions for either one though

1. If the breast may be done a couple hours before work, and then will just be left out for a feast that usually lasts for 6hrs or so. Would a good plan be to wrap in foil, place in cooler with towels, then just before I leave for work slice, place in crock pot, 10min to work and leave in crock pot on warm setting while at work?

2. For legs, I can only find one store that sells them, and they are the smaller ones and .98 cents a pound,essentially a dollar a leg. I'd do 12-15 legs. They come three to a package but store has plenty. Is this a good deal, or pass on them?

3. If doing legs can I use the above method to serve? Wrap in foil, cooler with towels, then unfoil and stack them in a crock pot on warm.

In return for help I will be sure to post photos after the holiday.

Thanks

If the Crock Pot is the only option to keep hot 6+ hours, Pulled Smoked Turkey is your best bet. Holds a long time and stays moist. Small legs are a waste as the meat to bone is low. Cleaned up, not much left. Thighs or leg quarters are the best choice but a whole bird is doable. An IT of 170 across the board with a rest and it should pull easily. Bag and refer. Crock up with your fav sauce, heat on high to 165 and hold on Warm. Serve with buns...JJ

Thanks for advice. Well went back to the store and legs were good price, plus someone is bringing breast already. I got 20 of them. They are around a pound each. Gonna do 225-240 on the smoker. 2-3 hours seam good? Also wanted to know what people thought if I wrap them individually fair style then stack them in the crock pot on warm? Or should I just wrap them and put in a cooler?

Thanks

Thanks for advice. Well went back to the store and legs were good price, plus someone is bringing breast already. I got 20 of them. They are around a pound each. Gonna do 225-240 on the smoker. 2-3 hours seam good? Also wanted to know what people thought if I wrap them individually fair style then stack them in the crock pot on warm? Or should I just wrap them and put in a cooler?

Thanks
Well shoot. I see I attached my CHICKEN leg smoke earlier.

Here is the Turkey Leg post.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/193902/bdskelly-bird-legs-turkey-with-q-view

It is  just about the same. Only larger! LOL  Good choice in the legs.  They are good and FUN to eat! 

Thanks
Well shoot. I see I attached my CHICKEN leg smoke earlier.

Here is the Turkey Leg post.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/193902/bdskelly-bird-legs-turkey-with-q-view

It is  just about the same. Only larger! LOL  Good choice in the legs.  They are good and FUN to eat! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky