Question on Turkey Smoking...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

monstah

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Manchester, NH
Hi All,

First, I'd like to wish everyone at SMF, and your families, a very happy and prosperous Thanksgiving! I, for one, am so thankful to have found a group of people so warm and welcoming, and willing to share so much wonderful information to newbs such as myself. You are all now my second family! I will be raising my glass tomorrow and toasting all of you! I won't have internet access until Monday (don't worry, I'll have Q-view on Monday), so I thought I'd throw an early Holiday wish out to all of you. Cheers!

On to my question... I'll be smoking my bird tomorrow in my MES, at a temp of about 275 (or as close as I can get to that). Is it necessary to put water in the pan? I've heard both sides and can't decide if I should use water or not. I know that without water, I'm just grilling with smoke, but I'm torn!

Thanks in advance for your input!

Personally I use the water pan. I fill it with apple juice and coke and refill it two or three times as needed. It keeps the bird extra moist, smells awesome while its boiling, and gives the turkey a nice sticky glaze. I also spray the turkey with apple juice every two hours or so. That was the best turkey I have ever eaten. Good luck!

I would tend to say you are just grilling. Maybe water pan for awhile, then remove it. If you trying to maintain higher temps or reach higher temps in smoker, try Playbox sand instead.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky