question on thermometers??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdomep

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
i see a lot of pictures with thermometers in them. some pictures have three thermometer in three different cuts of meat. it almost lookes like they keep the themometer in the smoker during the cooking process. is that correct? i would think the temp would be off a fuzz if they are in the smoker for the duration of the cooking time.

Are you talking about analog thermometers in the smoker? I see a lot of pictures of people putting their analog thermometers into the meat and leaving them in the smoker the whole time. I have several digital ones so I never use the analog ones so I'm  not sure if there is any worry about getting a crazy reading because of the whole unit being in the smoker or not.

Last edited:
cc5cdfa6_therm.jpg
i see themometers like this. i guess these are analog.

i see a lot of pictures with thermometers in them. some pictures have three thermometer in three different cuts of meat. it almost lookes like they keep the themometer in the smoker during the cooking process. is that correct? i would think the temp would be off a fuzz if they are in the smoker for the duration of the cooking time.
Most everyone keeps one thermo in the chamber to monitor the cooking temp. Putting one in each piece of meat is not necessary but will be usefull if they are different types (chicken, beef, etc.), different size or different cuts. Some larger cuts like butts and briskets may not get done at the same time so it is important to know the internal temp of each one. On the other hand, items like ribs, thighs, legs, country ribs, etc will usually be done at the same time so there is no need to check them all. Ribs aren't monitored for temp anyway but I hope you get my point. I have a handfull of thermos around here so i will stick one wherever i deem it necessary to monitor a temp.

You've got to know the chamber temp & the internal meat temp. The thermometers need to be accurate. That being said there are many thermometers that will do the job. For the most part the factory one's are not very accurate. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky