• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Question on Ribs and Brisket

Stephencurry

Joined Jun 13, 2021
Anyone that has done this i would like your feedback.

So I am planning on smoking some babybacks this friday evening and they will be done around 9pm ish. If i put them in the oven at 160 double wrapped in tinfoil wil they be fine until Noon the next day? What is the longest time you have put ribs into a ice chest/oven/cambro?

Hope my questions will be answered soon.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
160 is too high, you will have Mush in 15 hours. Best bet, when done, rest on the counter, covered with foil, to room temp, then Refer overnight. Next day 11ish, get them out and reheat on a Low Temp Grill with Sauce of choice or apple juice spritz, until hot and caramelized...JJ

Stephencurry

Joined Jun 13, 2021
160 is too high, you will have Mush in 15 hours. Best bet, when done, rest on the counter, covered with foil, to room temp, then Refer overnight. Next day 11ish, get them out and reheat on a Low Temp Grill with Sauce of choice or apple juice spritz, until hot and caramelized...JJ
Thanks <3

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 18, 2016
My overall advice if you are shooting for a time -- start with your target meal time and work backwards. Don't start the ribs and brisket at the same time. Think of it like this - if you were meeting a friend in New York City and your friend lived 16 hours from NYC and you lived 6 hours from NYC - would you both leave at the same time, or would you let your friend get a head start?

So brisket goes on first, then ribs go on when you're ~6 hours from brisket being ready to serve (after rest, etc..).

Remember: "it's done when it's done", and not after a set amount of time. Especially brisket. Ribs are a bit more predictable, but leave a buffer with your brisket.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I would go with JJ’s advice.
Al

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Think of it like this - if you were meeting a friend in New York City and your friend lived 16 hours from NYC and you lived 6 hours from NYC - would you both leave at the same time, or would you let your friend get a head star
LOL...Sounds like a 4th Grade MATH Problem!😂 A Train leaves NYC at 8am, traveling 70mph...

You gave great advice...JJ☺

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.