Question on Remote Thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daboys

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 30, 2008
Ft. Dodge Ia
Mornin everyone. I have 2 remote thermometers. They work great. Problem is, when they are both on, they monitor each others temps. It will show 1 temp, then show the other and back and forth. Sometimes it is nice. You can take 1 thermo in the house and still see both temps. The problem comes when doing chicken and beef. Chicken I will set the alarm for 170 and beef 145. Once the chicken reaches 146 the beef alarm will go off. So, does anybody use these, had the same problem, or know how to change the frequency or what ever it is with thermometers. It doesn't have anything on the back of it to change.
Here is a pic of what they look like. Thanks for any help. Mark

Have you tried re- initilizing one of the sets? Sometimes these RF things "mate" with each other, and will "handshake" to a new code. Well, garage door openers and stuff like that do anyway...called a "Rolling code" unit.

There's no button to push or hole to stick a paper clip in to re-initialize them. Tried taking out the batteries, turning off and on. Quess I can set my beef temps higher, then the alarm wont keep going off. Thanks Rich.

Bumping this to the top since it hasn't been discussed in some time. Funny thing, I purchased my second unit yesterday and in use today am experiencing the same issue. I do note that the receivers sometimes flash the differrent temps so maybe I only need one receiver and not two. I've also tried putting the sending units in less than "close" proximity to each other with little success.

Anyone got any fresh input on this?

I have a pair of these thermometers also....and yes, they appear to both be set at the same frequency, and the receivers will read both transmitters if they are on. As far as the thermos themselves, they seem to work pretty well and are pretty accurate.

My experience with these tells me that they are not suited to monitoring 2 different types of meat at the same time. Not to say that you can't do this....it will just take some extra babysitting....meaning that if you turn off one base, you can monitor one individual piece of meat in the smoker. Then just switch back and forth between units to keep track of your smoke.

It is a bit of a P.I.T.A., but will work in a pinch.

My advice would be to get another thermo made by a different company, and keep one of the others as a spare.

L8r,
Eric

Now I just keep the base on and turn the reciever off of one of the thermos. Saves on batteries and as long as both bases are on, the one reciever will read both temps. I will use one probe for external temps and the other for meat temps. I also use other thermos for more meat temps.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
I guess that wasn't too hard to solve was it? It is a good thing because I didn't have a clue either. Happy Smoking and watch out for water in IA.
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_38.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky