question on my venison sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by walking dude, Apr 3, 2008.

1. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

okay........ground up the venison.........pork butt.........and the fat back......added the highmountian seasonings and maple cure........most instructions say no longer in the fridge curing than 24 hours........well 24 hours will be 7 oclock tomorrow nite.......no way can i start smoking then........will i have a problem with waiting till sat. to smoke/cook the summer sausage?

TIA

2. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

No, D88de. 24 hours is the min. Till it dries to a lump is the max ;{)

You stuffing it or what?

3. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

WD: Should be fine. Keep it in a good airtight container.

Hey, did you get the PE recipes?

4. fireguy

fireguy Smoking Fanatic

Yep, youll be fine... I throw a damp towel over them to keep em from drying out. good luck

5. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yup steve if a little dry add a tbl. of water or 2-all will be fine.

6. walking dude

it looks like it will be sunday before i can stuff and smoke.........haven't stuffed yet, cause i am using encapsulated citric acid, and the instructions i have found, say NOT to refridge. after adding the eca......so its in a tub.........with saran wrap pressed on top of the meat, with a lid on top of the tub

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so no crust should form...........using the highmountain summer sausage kit, with some added tartness........as in butter milk, mexican hot sauce, and then the eca..............

pics to follow

7. geob

geob Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Nice looking sausage. I use Eastman seasoning for summer sausage and I stuff it as soon as I finishing grinding, then to the smoker, waterbath and freezer. The jerky packs say to frig for 12 to 24 hrs. I thought that was to inhance the seasoing and not for the cure process. It sure taste good, but if this is wrong I'd like to know. Thanks

geob.

8. walking dude

well, geob, tell you this........mossy mo sent me some of his sausage and stikx...........he didn't let it cure 24 hours before smoking.......and in didn't last, opened up, wrapped up, in the fridge........so its for the cure.........at least in his case it was...........he learned a lesson from it.......let it cure, either before stuffing, or after, for at least 24 hours.........

9. doctor phreak

doctor phreak Smoking Fanatic

not to hijack a thread but any suggestions on a grinder nothing too expensive ...been looking at a grinder at academy sports for $20.00 clamps to the table....any suggestions....

10. doctor phreak

doctor phreak Smoking Fanatic

well the wife says i need the exercise...( honestly she woun't give up some money ) so looks like i will be getting buff in the near future....thanks
    sorry wd for the thread hijack good luck ..send pics...

11. walking dude

not a problem doc, not a problem........its not like alot of us, ask questions off topic......at least you got your answer.......but like Ken said.......you better hope you are doing small batches to begin with.....LOL

12. I actually left my last batch of Venison Bacon in the fridge under Saran wrap for 48 hours instead of 24 hours, due to a backup on my smoker, and it actually took in more of the seasoning and tasted better than the first batch I made. I see no problem with it..Good Luck with the Summer!

13. walking dude

yeah mj.......i was kinda thinking the same thing, seeing how stuffers.com's recipe for venison ss, sez let it sit 3-5 days.........

14. geob

When you get ready to stuff it, what are you going to use?
    When I use my grinder it seems to mushey. I use a water stuffer most on the time but I don't like to hook it all up.

geob

15. walking dude

no choice geob.......just a newbie in this..........so the grinder is the only thing i have.............

16. geob

I have a son in Wheatland, and I know he has a new water stuffer. Maybe ya'll need to get together. He loves grinding & stuffing.

If you chill the meat to where ice crystal just start to form, it will stuff better in the grinder. Sure gets COLD though. (oh yea, I forgot, IOWA)

Lived there 18 years then retired. I know you know C O L D.

geob

17. travcoman45

WD: That's a mighty hairy belley stickin out in them pictures! Shouldn't ya be wearin a hair net on that?
    [​IMG]

18. smokeymagoo

smokeymagoo Smoke Blower

Not at all man....as you know by now because it is already Sat. and you are all ready smoking.

19. walking dude

yeah......i cussed the old lady for taking the pic with my "SIX PACK ABS" in it........tried to crop it all out...........i failed miserably

20. travcoman45

WD: I said no to the six pack ab's, I wen't for the whole case!
    [​IMG]