Question on Country Style Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcurrier

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Mid Coast Maine
Would you 2-2-1 them or what? I have grilled them, but I have the time to smoke them right this weekend- How long would you go? Would you shoot for 190-210 smoker temp or opt to go up to 225?

Thanks in advance for the input-

I do mine the same as i would do ribs... 225 for 4-5 hours, most of the time foiled like in the 2-2-1, sometimes not. I really like the last batch i did unfoiled to tell you the truth, straigt up smoked naked the whole time... Great flavor, just not quite as tender.

Now I'm no expert here on country style ribs but the ones I have smoked I did it by temp and I took them to about 165* or there abouts. They arent like other ribs like spares all uniformed and all they are all diferant sizes and some have bones and some don't. So I always have smoked them by temp.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

>>>Would you shoot for 190-210 smoker temp?<<<

if you do that, you'll probably end up with jerky long ebfore you have finished CSRs. you can do 225 but if it were me, i'd go up around 240-250.

i've done a bunch of these over the last couple of years and it seems to me that one has to treat them almost as a cross between spare ribs and pork shoulder. they are small like spare ribs, but the character of the meat is more like shoulder. due to their thickness i'd suggest a finsihed internal temperature of at least 175, which will give them time in a "mini-stall" to break down collagen. you could probably even go higher and end up with something close to pulled pork, if you want.

if you choose to foil them, i would try 321 first, and then make adjustments from there depending on results. that way you have a baseline for reference.

every time i try CSRs they turn out tough and I've tried them all sorts of ways. I've taken them to 170 without foil spraying them every hour. and I've tried foiling them which was a little better but still too tough for my taste.

my family is used to them in the pressure cooker then on the girl for a few minutes covered in BBQ sauce. I'm tryin to get them to like smoked ribs but they're never satisfied with the texture of my CSRs

A lot depends on what cut they come from. You can get CS spares from the pork butt, Rib End loin, Center cut loin, Loin End loin, arm shoulder and even fresh ham. Each one has to be treated individually; how much marbling, how lean, how thick, what cut, etc. Center cut usually makes the worst CS because it is too lean and no internal fat like butt has. The rib ends and loin ends are better as they have more fat. The arm shoulder can be good if taken from the cushion, but from the bone muscle can be too lean and tough. The pork butt is the best in my opinion as it has good internal marbling and will be juicier and fibers will break down easier when chewing. Ham is very lean, slow cooking is best with a mop or sauce. I've also had neck as CS, and that can be fairly good, has a lot of flavor (usually put into sausage though). Jowls usually aren't thick enough but can be sliced up and used like little boneless riblets. About the only thing left is the sparerib and belly. The belly can be sliced thick for sidepork (sidepork and milk gravy on potatoes.. yum!) or cured for salt pork, then smoked for that word... that descriptive word that's used in reverence on here.. BAYKUNN!!!... (that's phonetically... also known as bacon..!)

I did a batch this last Tuesday.....Smoked them at 250 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs. After that I foiled them and put them in a counter top roaster oven ( 250 degrees) for another 3-3 1/2 hrs. You could also foil them and leave in smoker at 250 degrees.

Rick

Thanks for the clarification, Pops.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I always thought they were all from the shoulder. I'll have to be more careful when I buy them.

Dave

I didn't know CSR's came from the shoulder. If that is the case i could just buy a small butt for 6 or 7 bucks and cut up my own CSR's, no? I like cooking CSR's be cause they are cheap and easy but always good. I just cook at 240* and follow the 2-2-1 method. They are always falling apart. after that.

MMMMMM, ribs, MMMMMM

Update- smoked the country style ribs in the webber kettle for about 1.5 hrs at 250-275. Then finished in the oven. Put them in a #8 griswold cast iron with lid, added a bit of beer and esentially braised them- quite tasty. Just had some this morning with a couple eggs and some hot sauce

Mmmm Good-

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky