question on babyback ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by chris_harper, Sep 15, 2007.

1. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

ok, i always do spares. do babybacks have the membrane you have to remove? i am thinking of doing either babybacks or some beef ribs this weekend. i can get some beef "arm ribs" for $1.48/lb. big ribs, long bones. babybacks are $4.78/lb. spares are $1.98/lb. getting tired of spares though.

2. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes, babies have a membrane that needs to be removed. I would suggest that you go with the beef ribs. Babies are nice, but they will remind you of spares, just with more bone and a little less meat. The price difference is also significant! Just my $0.02 worth.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

3. bigal

bigal Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I agree w/Meowey. I really don't understand the big "to do" over the b-backs. Dogs really like what I cut off the spares too.

I think spares are more fun, ya gotta cut and trim to what ya like.........plus ya got some "munchies" while they are smoke'n.

Ya gotta do them though, Chris. I do, and go right back to spares.

Beef ribs are fine, too. Plenty of grease to go w/them also.

Have a good weekend.

4. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

ok, i just got back from the store. they are "finger ribs", not arm. i don't know what i was thinking. anyway, got a pack (two slabs) cost $15. gonna smoke them this evening or tomorrow.

5. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    I am in the minority when it comes to BB ribs. I love em! Much more so then spares. They are leaner but still full of flavor and have a little denser meat then the spares. But for that price I wouldn;t get them either! They are usually around $3.39/lb here.

6. smoke freak

smoke freak StickBurners

I do backs cause where I work I can buy cases of em at about 3 bucks a slab. Cant beat that anywhere.