Question on Aging Smoked Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baja traveler

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
San Diego, Ca
I see every post here vacuum sealing their finished cheese to age for 2-3 weeks, but I don't own a vacuum sealer. Is there some other method I can use to wrap my smoked cheese for aging? I saw the thread about waxing, but not sure where to obtain the correct wax for that...

I'll be picking up a vacuum sealer this summer when finances allow, but until then I'd like to smoke some chedder.

I just put mine in zip locking bags and squeeze out as much air as I can.  It certainly doesn't last long!

Another method is to wrap it in plastic wrap for an extra layer then like Pops does into zip locks with most of the air removed 

Or you can always drive some up here for sealing as long as there are samples left for testing 
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
I will fill the kitchen sink with water then put the cheese into a ziplock bag, then put the ziplock bag into the water to force out all the air and zip the top before the water gets in. this works almost as good as a vac sealer

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to hit Costco tomorrow to pick up a selection.

My AMNPS came in the mail yesterday and gave it a test run - what an awesome smoke generator! Looks like it burns 3 inches of pellets an hour, I ran it for 4 hours in the smoker, and with the thick marine layer we have been having the smoker sat at 60 degrees the whole time. 

Not sure if they still make / sell them anymore but a while back I bought a zip lock brand hand pump and special bags from walmart. They actually work quite well! The bags cost more than the regular bags but it's a good short term fix until I can afford a nice sealer.

Not sure if they still make / sell them anymore but a while back I bought a zip lock brand hand pump and special bags from walmart. They actually work quite well! The bags cost more than the regular bags but it's a good short term fix until I can afford a nice sealer.

========================================

I have that doodad.It pulls a fair vacuum,not great but not all that bad either.

The foodsaver etc is the way to go,just do your homework by reading a bunch of reviews on a particular model,every once in a while they do make a dud.

Then buy a generic style roll of plastic,like on amazon and you will save 50% over the food saver bags.Plus if you buy 4 rolls here at 20 bucks a roll youll save 28 dollars in shipping,4 rolls gets free shipping,I just ordered some.

Once you get the machine you will find all kinds of uses for it,so its worth the costs.Those rolls I ordered will last a long time.LONG time.

Thanks for the tips! My cheese came out wonderful - smoked mild cheddar and pepper jack for three hours using cherry pellets in the AMNPS. Smoker never got higher than 75 degrees. Put the cheese in ziplock freezer bags and used the water trick to push all the air out. Worked like a charm! Now for the wait....

4b419927_143095488.jpg

I use food saver bags or foil.  Either works the same for me and the wait is the hardest part.

I will fill the kitchen sink with water then put the cheese into a ziplock bag, then put the ziplock bag into the water to force out all the air and zip the top before the water gets in. this works almost as good as a vac sealer

Brilliant ... In all my old years I have never thought of that ..

Is there a specific time for different kinds of cheese. I really like sharp american and colby cheese. Is there a time you should leave them to age, or at least try and leave them age?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky