Question on a Picnic Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I had two picnic roasts from my last pig. This last weekend I decided to smoke one. When I went to probe it I noticed there is a lot of bone in this particular cut so I tried to probe into the meatiest part of the cut but I think I failed and got too close to bone. It was about a 6.5 to 7 pounder and it hit 200 internal at about 7 hours which seems too soon to me. So I took it off, wrapped in towel and let rest in ice chest for a few hours. When I went to pull it the meat didn't fall off the bone like my other butt roasts had.

So does anyone have any advice on how to properly probe one of these picnic cuts? I have one more left and would like to smoke it also.

Thanks!

Ya i did one last weekend took almost 18 hours, i probed the thick meat part, the only way i can explane is, set the leg skin side up, small end faceing you, probe the opp side that the joint flexs to on the thick end. or you could probe around to see where you miss the bone before you smoke it. or you could do like i did, smoke it till it falls of the bone when you wiggle it around.

Lol thats probably the best way for me also. Thanks for the advice smokebuzz!

You could easily hit 200 if your smoker is running close to 300 degrees. Do you know how hot your smoker was?

Well I was going by the digital readout on the MES display at 225. It has been ok for prior smokes but perhaps I should probe a potatoe to see if it is still accurate. Thanks for that AJ!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky