Question for Sausage smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcoppin

Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
North Dakota
When you smoke your sausages, do you smoke them until they are totally cooked (165 degrees), cold smoke or something in between? I had seen some pics on this site where someone had done a 4-5 hour smoke, but they did not look fully cooked. I remember growing up and having smoke sausage that was partially cooked in the smoking process, but you had to cook before eating.

it depends on what kind of sausauge your making but anything that is cold smoked has insta-cure or a presevative in itif your interested in making sausage i recommend great sausage recipes and meat curing by rytek kutas by far the bible in sausage making

yeah that^^^

it all depends on the kind of sausage i want....

yesterday i did some breakfast sausages, hot smoked them and turned them into little smokies...ready to eat off the smoker

This is just a Jimmy Dean Itallian sausage and it was the grub!! I let it get all the way done!!!

mcoppin -

It kind of depends on what it is. If I'm eatting it soon I cook it all the way, if it's pork I cook it all the way or freeze it as soon as it's cool.

Beef I lightly smoke and age in the fridge.

Anything in particular you have in mind?

gypc that looks great. Thanks for sharing.

It does depend on what kind of sausage you are making whether or not you finish it up or not.

I have done it both ways and it just depends

The one time i made smoked pork kielbasa i smoked it until it was cooked and then froze it once it was cool. I kind of had no choice because the only smoking apperatus i had was my propane grill. Somehow i managed a mostly cold smoke for 5 hours on it by smoking indirectly and using flame only to get the chip packets going.

Smoking sausages should never be that stressful!

there is a difference between sausages--

FRESH SAUSAGES
italian
polish
cajun
bratwurst
do not have cure in them--
can be SMOKE COOKED indirectly on grill ,like a weber kettle..

SMOKED SAUSAGES HAVE CURE IN THEM
kielbassa
smoked
andoille
german
romanian jewish beef
hungarian debricci
these have cure in them...
these are SMOKED

THIS IS HOW I DO IT--this may not be right for the purists
cure helps keep sausage meat safe since the first 2 hours
or so should be at 130/160 f air heat in smoker--
then bump to 185f air heat for 2 hrs or so in smoker
--then finish to 155f internal of sausage.
these should be cooked to 168f before eating.
or put in freezer

as d j debi suggests--read schmidling--you will learn something..
semi dry needs a little more attention
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky