Question for BBQ Bubba and other Drum Smoker Guru's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris b

Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
NC
It seems that everyone has different ideas as to how to put this thing together. After building so many drum smokers, what advice can you give me on the design. What design features have worked best for you? I picked up two drums yesterday, and I'm ready to get started, i just want to make sure I get it right. I want to do two cooking grates if possible. Do you know of any "how-to's" on building one.

Thank you
Chris

no guru here but have built a couple...I went with 3 grids in case I wanted more space for smaller schtuff and have a door at the bottom of mine to slide a fire box in and out of. 1/2" and 3"4" vents with ball valves for vent control, handle on the top..still working on a stack and odds and ends..that's about it...the gurus will be awake shortly!
icon_smile.gif

On a standard 55 gal. drum one grate is max. and it should be 7 1/2" below the barrel rim, ala BDS. Remember, you are cooking directly over the fire, there is nothing to buffer between it and the food. ONE air inlet, using a 3/4" ball valve to control air flow is all you need, it will rarely be open more than 1/2". The first one I built had more inlets, I found they were not needed. I personally use the "faux BDS" lid configuration. My choice is six 1" holes evenly spaced around the perimeter that are all open cooking and using the 1" metal plugs to close them after cooking.
Make sure your fire basket is raised above the bottom of the drum for air flow under it. I use carriage bolts 2 1/2" long through a piece of HEAVY expanded metal cut to fit inside the drum and build a separate fire basket with bottom.
Metal handles tend to get hot, but I use them because they are cheap and readily available. I just keep a pair of leather work gloves handy.
I use all stainless hardware.
What you do, or anyone else does, is strictly personal choice.
I'm telling you what I do and what works for me.
I LIKE my drums. And I HATE the "UDS" title. They are not ugly.
cool.gif

e1383b6f_vbattach18506.jpg

af05a6ca_vbattach18505.jpg

d8a220ce_vbattach18504.jpg

c81804b6_vbattach18502.jpg

1af9e010_vbattach18503.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky