Question for Abratek

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

just woody

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
was looking at the photoes and it looked like the pipe from the heat sorce to your smoker is Galvenized, if so I've always understood that galvenized is a No-No when smoking..

Hey Woody,

I can't find Abratek in the posts. Can you give me a link?

I agree that galvanized is a no-no. Maybe more like a "don't even think about it" :!:

Rodger,
I 'googled' "Abratek" and this is what I found. . .
Abratek. Methinks that Woody has his forums crossed??

got it here
Seminole

New User
Total posts: 13
Donate
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:55 pm Post subject: Smokehouse Construction Photos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos of a beautifully designed and built smokehouse. I hope they will provide some ideas, too.
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/s_desig...nstruction.htm

There are even more photos of traditional wood smokehouses from Poland at: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/photo_galleries/names.htm

Some quite simple, some very elegant. What's interesting is that all of them use a separate firebox.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=981

Ah, okay-makes sense now. It was the "Abratek" in the heading that threw me. Now if it read "Question for Siminole" . . . :D

Just Woody,

To tell if galvanized steel is good for smoking is like trying to decide which came first, the chicken or the egg. It is made of metal sheets that are dipped into a hot bath of melted zinc and some other chemicals. Zinc melts at 787° F (420°C), and boils at 1,665° F (907° C).

Although zinc presents no danger, a metallic element such as cadmium is bad for our health. Determining the exact composition of a particular pipe is difficult. This is why the Food Safety and Inspection Service of the United Stated Department of Agriculture says ‘Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t smoke foods in makeshift containers such as galvanized steel cans or other materials not intended for smokingâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji].

Before smoking for the first time, any section of pipe that makes direct contact with burning wood in the fire pit should be burned with hot fire. This takes care of initially burning away any deposits. The rest of the pipe is exposed to such low temperatures (traditional smoking: cold smoking below 80° F, hot smoking at less than 140° F, cooking in a smoker below 190° F) that it can not possibly react with any chemicals that were deposited on its surface during the manufacturing process.

Better still, break your pipe into separate sections. The section that makes direct contact with a fire pit can be made of steel, tile pipe, or reinforced concrete, and the rest can be made of galvanized duct.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky