Question about wood chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jason hansen

Original poster
Mar 16, 2016
I was looking at places that sold wood chunks and found one that had 2 prices one for with bark and one without bark. Is it worth paying more without bark? The website is charcoalstore.com

That kinda of depends on what kind of wood it is.  I use alder, that generally has a thin bark, so I leave it on.  But I have a friend that won't use wood with bark period.  If its hickory or oak someone else would know more about it than me.

Being a pure stick burner I burn wood with bark all the time. I use primarily red oak. The only thing I would say is some bark has a tendency to flare up. Apple for instance. The smaller limbs and branches has a thin bark that is waxy. If I put too much on it really flares up and gives me a temp spike. But I assume this is not what you are buying. I don't think I'd pay extra for it with out the bark.

I agree, I cut my chunks from splits. Most of the time the bark is still on. Bark on or bark off, either way works fine.

Al

I usually buy the western brand of wood chunks or chips. I just wanted to check out other options.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky