Question about smoking on a Char-Broil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgruber15

Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
So I recently picked up a Char-Broil grill (Link) - and I have successfully smoked my first meat, which is Tri-Tip, came out great.

My question is this.  On the smoker, the bottom drawer has the water pan and chip holder, in 1 single design.  Basically the pan has a circle dish type of design in the center, I was using that for putting chips in, and the rest of the pan for water.  I would like to know if this is normally how it is done, or should I put water & chips in the small dish, and water on the outside of the dish?

It seems that I had to replace the chips after about 45min, and the water about every 30min.  I know a lot of people say the thermometer is generally off, are there any good recommendations that I can pick up at Home Depot or something like that?

I plan to smoke a bunch of ribs this weekend for the Super Bowl, and I would like to find out if my methods are correct.

Thanks in advance!

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome to SMF. if you will can you swing itnot Roll call and intriduce yourself and your equipment. Now for your question. The first thing I would do is replace the chip pan with a larger one. I would also look into the Wiki section here and you should be able to find some of the improvement to your smkoer there.

Thanks,  I posted in there a few min ago.

I've checked the Wiki and was unable to find anything that would help with my smoker.

I have that model.  It works very well after a few mods.  The chip/water pan you mentioned (in my opinion) was a poor design.  I took a jig saw to it and cut the center (chip portion) out.  Put a pan above the burner to hold chips and catch drippings from racks.  I threw away the thermometer and put a   [    http://www.teltru.com/p-321-barbecue-grill-thermometer-bq250-2-inch-dial-and-4-inch-stem.aspx   ] through the upper door.  The thermometer I used may be a little overkill but it is very accurate and I can read the dial from inside.  I use digital thermometers to check internal temp of meat.  Instead of a drawer that held the water/pan. I rehung the door to hinge open.  I'm tight when it comes to purchasing propane so I also covered with ceramic insulation to hold heat in.  I also added a needle valve to keep control of the heat.  The insulation may be a mod you will want to skip.  Also check the regulator.  The one I have had a regulator that was recalled.  Mine was built about three years ago.  Good Luck and happy smoking, Robert.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky