Question about my GOSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wvsmokeman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 17, 2006
West Virginia
As posted previously, I recently purchased a GOSM 3405BGW from WalMart. It only has one damper on top and not a lower side one (as I have seen on others). I have smoked numerous things and have had no problems getting it to "cruise" around 225 degrees and overall I am very happy with it. The only "mod" I have done is replace the tiny wood box with a metal plate. The only concern I've had is the smoke output. I noticed that I needed to reach temperatures around 250 degrees to get the TBS started and then I would reduce the gas flow to lower the temperature back to 225. The smoke would eventually stop and I would repeat the process, very aggravating for me. Just recently I noticed that when I opened the door to mist/turn what ever I'm smoking, the TBS would began flowing almost immediately. I then realized that I need airflow from the bottom to obtain the TBS I have been working for with this smoker. Not wanting to start drilling/cutting holes in my GOSM unless I have to, I have been using a small wedge of wood to insert at the bottom of the closed door to pry it open just enough to get the air flow and not damage the door. I have not noticed any difference in maintaining a steady temperature in doing this, but, guess what, she smokes at 225 degrees (and lower) now! So, I wanted to get the opinion of my SMF family. Should I keep on wedging the door or should I order another damper plate and cut the holes to make a damper at the bottom side?
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

I have the same problem with mine, but have never used the wedge trick. Have just fought mine. A new vent, are they obtainable? I would be willing to buy one and drill mine.

I'm sure we could order a new damper plate from CFM who manufacturers the GOSM. May be able to find one from another source that would work. All you would have to do is duplicate the top hole dimensions and attach the damper plate.

I'll check around on the net. If memory serves me ... the lower vent is in the midle of the unit down low.

I don't know about the GOSMs but on my Smoke Vault there are two vent centered in the middle near the fire box, one on either side. Hope this helps.
1eb04bde_vbattach14804.jpg

I think, perhaps, the new chip container is sitting flat in the floor of your smoker, turn it so there is a gap between the pan of chips and the smoker floor, I think you have sealed off the burner so that no smoke and heat can rise up. Don't take this as gospel, I did make a mistake once, one time, I thought I was wrong, but I wasn't.
icon_eek.gif
Terry

Thanks Deb, that did help.

Terry, mine is raised above the burner by a rack provided by the manuf. Sits approx 2" above the flame.

Geez Tim, I confuse my BBQ grillware, with my neighbors GOSM.
redface.gif
What can I say, all too often, I'm a coupla a bricks shy of a full load.
icon_eek.gif
Terry

ya know i thought i was not getting any smoke in mine either. It was there ya just could not see it. I would look in the top vent and smell the smoke and get the burning eyes. When I opened the dor there was some thin blue in there. I like to start mine on full throttle for a few to get the chunks going then heat up the water. I back it almost all the way down and it has the thinist smoke ever and holds constant temp. I use a loaf pan with foil and a couple few holes.

Not my case....no smell, no burning eyes until after I would open the door
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Quote "I think, perhaps, the new chip container is sitting flat in the floor of your smoker, turn it so there is a gap between the pan of chips and the smoker floor, I think you have sealed off the burner so that no smoke and heat can rise up. Don't take this as gospel, I did make a mistake once, one time, I thought I was wrong, but I wasn't.
icon_eek.gif
Terry"

Terry, I also use the rack that came with the smoker to keep the wood chip plate off of the burner.

DeeJayDebi....interesting that the smoke vault has two dampers on the bottom sides. That just may be the ticket!

Thanks to all for your input, it is appreciated very much. I knew I could get some good input from the folks here on the SMF.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The burner is enclosed by a large, round sheetmetal housing. In the floor of the housing, in the center, is a 1/4" hole. I used that as a pilot-hole for a 1-1/2" metal-cutting hole-saw. Deburr and touch up the paint. Easy to get at because the sheetmetal housing is only held in place by three bolts in the floor of the main cabinet. Enough air now.

I also found that I need about 1" of space between the wood box and the water pan above, otherwise I make creosote on the bottom of the pan.

So I have enough air in, enough space to let the smoke out, plenty of heat, and I use chunks (soaked for 1/2 hour to avoid flare-ups) for two hours and dispose to a water-filled bucket. Fill half the wood box with a few chunks, in an hour add a second half of chunks, in an hour remove and dispose of two-hour old, and repeat.

To spritz meat, top-off water pan, and exchange wood takes about two minutes, and about another 5 to come back up to temp. in the main cabinet. Oh, yeah, and down a beer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky