Question about foiling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin lou

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
Haven't been around in a while because I haven't had a chance to fire up the smoker lately
icon_sad.gif
icon_sad.gif
icon_sad.gif

I am planning to smoke a few butts this weekend for the neighbors. I have tried it with and without foil, and the results were similar.

The question: Why do you foil? Is it to speed up the cooking process in the plateau, since I see most people foil at 160 deg, or some other reason?

Thanks for your replies.

Usually the plateau hits before 160°.

As far as foiling a butt... the only reason I can figger is juice retention. You wanna keep that stuff for a finishing sauce, or in my case, I use some in my BBQ sauces.

A pan would be about as good.

Bark formation and smoke intake are done by 170 or so. I believe the foiling is used to help break down the muscle fibers quicker using heat with steam. Takes less energy to bring it up to 200*?? IMO

I foil because of some of both of the posts input. Tenderness and so the juice doesn't run out and lost forever!! The juice is just to valuable in my opinion to let it go because you can do so much with it.

Yep..I make a finishing sauce with them... usually use cider vinegar and some more salt if needed, and pepper and maybe some onion and garlic powder.

Look up Soflaqer finishing sauce as well.. great stuff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky