Question About Cleaning My Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grande

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Lancaster, NY
Last week I smoked 4 pork butts &, I have to tell you, the inside of my smoker is a darn mess right now. I was wondering to what extremes people go to clean their smokers.

I was planning on just wiping out the major droppings & make sure that the heating element is clean. Would that do, or should I scrub it down & re-coat it with peanut oil afterword?

clean it?
did you say clean it?
eek.gif

why would you do that?..what are you thinking?
All that time building up a good seasoning just to clean it?

all kidding aside, I really only clean the inside of the smoker once a year.
I'll clean the grates several times a year...but the inside of the smoker only gets a good bath once or twice a year.

usually a good pressure wash with a little of sams club oven cleaner sprayed on first.

..if you clean it too well, it will need to be seasoned right away to prevent rusting.

Honestly, Grande, I'll use a plastic putty knife to scrape out any accumulated fat or grease that has collected on the bottom that missed the catch pan. Of course, I clean the food grates after each use with grill cleaner and a garden hose. Other than that, I have'nt seen a need to "power clean" the inside of either of my GOSMs after 4-5 years of heavy use.

After any extended period of disuse/storage (i.e. if you store it in a shed over winter) I would use a brass wire brush to scrub lightly around the burner holes to dislodge any spiders/webs that may have taken up residence before lighting for the first time.

Cheers,
Brian

My theory is anything that sticks is seasoning. Evertything else gets brushed or shop vac'ed out. I also wire brush the cooking grates before and after every cook. I also brush oil or light bacon grease after a cook, but my grates are cast iron, so that might not be needed for you.

Great! Thanks a lot. I will just try to lightly brush out any major droppings (without any elbow grease) & make sure that the heating element is clean & I will be good to go. We'll chalk the rest up to being on the way to a well seasoned smoker.

BTW, I don't plan on storing it for the winter. I'm too busy using it.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I agree with the others... major dippings get cleaned out regularly, and the grates occasionally go in the dishwasher, but the rest usually just stays. Shoot, I think my little chief hasn't been "cleaned" in the 10+ years I've had it.

here here............xactly what i tell folks round here when they say its too cold to smoke..........pffffffffftttttttttt............it NEVER to cold to smoke......just dress warmer..........and if its too windy.......build a wind break...........if i had to shut down from smoking if its too cold.......i wuld end up in the hospital with withdrawal symptoms from non-smoking.........

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky