Question about casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobdog46

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Ponchatoula Louisiana
I have always used natural casings to make my sausage and between links you just make a few twists and this is sufficient to separate the links. Last night I used 32mm collagen casing for the first time to prepare sausage for smoking. When the links were the length that I wanted, I tried twisting to separate the links and it ended up untwisting. I finally just tied a piece of string between the links. This was very time consuming. This will be the last time I collagen casing for this type of sausage unless somebody knows of a trick to separate the links.  Any suggestions from the sausage experts out there ?

I will post pics later of the product after smoking later today.

I use butchers twine to separate mine when I use collagen.  They also break easily if you over stuff them...

Here is how to twist so they wont untwist.

Sausage to length say 2ft

Tie off the end and pinch the casing 6" from the end. Make the first twist 3 times away from you, pinch another 6" and twist 3 times towards you. Away/towards/away/towards.

Be aware that really tight stuffed casing may break when you twist. Stuff the casing loose, then twist.

4f07527d_twistup1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky