Question about brinkman ECB smokers

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by dribron, Apr 19, 2010.

1. dribron

dribron Meat Mopper

I was in lowes the other day and seen the brinkman gourmet,(green one) and the smoke n' grill. From what I can read on the box they have about the same specs, but the price is about double for the gourmet. What is the difference between the two?

2. glgoodwin

glgoodwin Meat Mopper

All I know is I use the crap out of my ECB!!!! Its been a great little smoker...

3. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

I had a ECB then went to a UDS. The TBS was the same but the UDS works better. Either way make sure you have BEER!

4. dburgette

dburgette Fire Starter

I second the UDS. Spend a little time and make yours. I smoked a pork shoulder yesterday for 9 hours and a whole chicken. I let the temp go after I finished smoking the meat and it went on at temp, about 235 or so, for 13-14 hours. That is about 9lbs, at the beginning only, of charcoal with a set it and forget it. I had the ECB and it is a pita to keep at temp and refuel compared to the UDS. GO with the UDS!

5. bustintires

bustintires Smoke Blower

my first store bought was the cheap ecb. i needed more space a couple weeks later and picked up the gourmet version. the later is a much better way to go, plus i found that if you stack the cheapo on top of the gourmet it makes a great unit especially for smoking fish. but if you have to choose one get the gourmet charcoal. it does a great job.

6. dribron

dribron Meat Mopper

So do you feel that the gourmet holds temp better than the cheaper one?
    I do like the ides of building a UDS but just do not have the tools, or skills needed to pull that off.

7. dburgette

dburgette Fire Starter

Believe me, you have the skills! If you have a drill and a home store, you can do it. Trust me.

8. dribron

dribron Meat Mopper

We'll I don't really belive that that is true in my case. Regardless I just do not have the room for a 50lb drum. But who knows maybe one day before I am done in this place...lol

9. jclind1966

jclind1966 Newbie

I have the gourmet and it holds temp great but you have to modify it. If you are not able to build a uds you might have trouble with the mods.

10. dribron

dribron Meat Mopper

We'll maybe it is not for me then...

11. jclind1966

jclind1966 Newbie

The WSM would be perfect but the price is around 300

12. dribron

dribron Meat Mopper

Maybe in a year or two, just a bit over what I can even pretend to afford. lol

13. jclind1966

jclind1966 Newbie

If you are ever in Appleton WI I would be glad to do the mods to the gourmet for you.

14. dribron

dribron Meat Mopper

Nice offer, very kind of you. I really do not get out there well, ever. But thank you.

15. glgoodwin

glgoodwin Meat Mopper

Ecb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

hey dribon, do not not know if this will help, but I have a vertical gas brinkman from home depo and love it. I now it is not the top of the line but I get good smokes and everyone loves what I make. I would love to have a uds, but where I live it is agaist the law to even do the burn out. It is a big fine to burn leaves much less a barrell. So get what you can afford and enjoy. Good luck

17. csmith2884

csmith2884 Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

My smoker started life as a brinkman gourmet also have had several ECB's the air flow into the fire is much better with the gourmet better yet if you do a super simple mod of adding an extra grate to lift up the coals a bit and let in more air. I like that you lift the whole thing to add fuel on the gourmet and if you want to upgrade later a propane kit like mine, link in my signature line, can't be beat.
    This is a great portable or starting smoker (I want a bigger one) I take mine camping and it stores in a small space in the garage. Get one a experiment with it you won't be disappointed at all.

18. gargra03

gargra03 Fire Starter

dribon,
    I have a green brinkman gourmet , it was my first smoker and I actually have done a few mods to it over the paster year and it chugs along pretty well. I looked at both like you did and felt the gourmet was built a little better , just my oponion though. It is a great smoker to start out with and I did several great smokes on her as I was learning. hope this helps

Gary

19. dburgette

dburgette Fire Starter

Hell, if you lived close to me, I would give you my ECB. I can't imagine even using it again after using the uds. All you would need would be handles and an aftermarket temp gauge.

20. dribron

dribron Meat Mopper

Picked up a drill today, and plan on picking up the gourmet tomarow. It might take me a while to get the needed mods done on it, simply because I do not know what was used to cut out the holes for the vents, or how to make a vent cover like many I have seen done. Hopfully in the end I will pull it off without completly distroying the gourmet....[​IMG]