Question about brining time (NON-emergency)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teebob2000

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Hi all - I'm doing my turkey tomorrow (relatives today, but I'm DYING to smoke one!!  First-ever try, pix tomorrow).

Most of the brining instructions I've found say 1 hour per pound. I have a 14lb bird.

Due to our schedules, I either have to brine it this morning, or it will be late tonight by the time I get home and won't be able to brine it 14 hours; it'll be more like 10-11.  Can it get overly salty if I brined it 24 hours instead of 14?  Or will it be saturated at some point and not absorb too much seasoning?  Is 10-11 hours sufficient?  I can dependably keep it cold enough so safety's not an issue.

Thanks!!!

Mine came out of 36 hr brine this morning for 14 lb bird. If your worried about salty you could replace half the salt with a sugar of some sort. But I personally don't think it would be a problem, you could also rinse if you want as well, I don't but some do.

Hope this helps

Aaron

Mine came out of 36 hr brine this morning for 14 lb bird. If your worried about salty you could replace half the salt with a sugar of some sort. But I personally don't think it would be a problem, you could also rinse if you want as well, I don't but some do.
Hope this helps
Aaron
I decided to go ahead and put it in the brine this morning using an awesome Food Network recipe that I used last year.  It's got 1# of kosher salt and then a whole messa' honey and molasses (and lots of herbs, etc) so I think it should be sweet enough.

Thanks, Aaron!

I don't ever brine a Chicken or Turkey less than 24 hours frequently 48....Salt is not the issue with long Brines, it's protein breakdown and Mushy Meat from brining too long...JJ

I don't ever brine a Chicken or Turkey less than 24 hours frequently 48....Salt is not the issue with long Brines, it's protein breakdown and Mushy Meat from brining too long...JJ
Thanks JJ!!! 
biggrin.gif

Mine just came out of a 48 hour brine 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky