Question about 3-2-1 Method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raven1911

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Obviously I am new here and have a dumb question. In the 3-2-1 method for cooking ribs, once you cover the ribs with foil do you still need to put wood chips in the smoker or do you just not smoke during that 2 hour time?

Thanks!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Remember 3-2-1 is just a guideline and should be adjusted to your taste. Less time in the foil, more bite to the ribs.
BB's do need alot less time.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Raven from the king of dumb question I learned that the folks here never consider any questions dumb. It's like they want you to be good at what you do. I think they want the world to be taken over by smoking meat people. NEVER feel that your questions are dumb. Everybody started at the bottom once. Now go smoke some ribs and show us how they turned out. Oh by the way....... I do belive your hooked on smoking, HAHAHA

I have it figured depending on how peeps want their ribs. For myself half the time in the foil(so I can pull the meat from the bone with my teeth ala caveman). For the wife, she likes them fall off the bone so the 3-2-1 method works very well. Good luck!

You guys are awesome!!

Thanks! Now off I go to break my smoker in....

Keep in mind that just about everything here is presented in the form of general guide lines. There are many variables that can affect the process. The 321 method is intended for spare ribs, the more that you trim off, the less food you have to cook and accordingly, the less time. Watch your temps and how the meat actually looks (Meat pulling away from the ends of the bone, burning on the edges or hot spots and so on)

Foil is a great aid. It can help keep moisture in, prevent burning and ease clean up among other things. But completley sealed around food it will also keep out the smoke and its flavor imparting majic.

Let us know what you try and how it turns out! And pics are maybe as close as we will ever come to eating your creations so feel free to post a few.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky