Quail, Catfish and Wild Rice Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
I wanted to smoke a couple of quail but didn't want to fire up a smoker just for two of them...next thing I new I had a drum full of stuff.

The quail are some bobwhites I got this season, the catfish I caught the end of the summer.

I marinaded the quail for a couple of hours in a mixture of olive oil, sherry, soy and garlic. Then stuffed with wild onions and wrapped in bacon.

I marinaded the catfish in a mixture of water, soy, brown sugar, kosher salt, and hot sauce.

Rolled some brussel sprouts in olive oil, sprinked with kosher salt and cracked black pepper and wrapped in bacon.

Used a long grain/wild rice mix and added olive oil, chicken broth and more wild onions..

Smoked everything with a bit of mesquite.

I covered the rice after 45 minutes...

The whole smoke took a little over one hour.

The brussel sprouts..

The catfish...

The smoked quail on rice...

It was pretty tasty!

Thanks for checking out my supper. :)

Well Jeanie, you got me drooling again! That's a unique way to do brussel sprouts. I will definitely be trying that. Thanks for the pics.

Wow, that's beautiful food. Thanks for sharing your idea for brussel sprouts, we love them here.
points.gif

Dang it Jeanie, that is some fine looking grub ya got there
points.gif

I know better than to open one of your posts before lunch
biggrin.gif

I need to start bringing an extra shirt to work...I keep getting drool marks down my front everytime I look at your posts!

OK, now you've gone and done it. I thought I'd never, ever eat another brussel sprout. Looks like I was wrong....great post as usual Jeanie!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thank you so much folks! It was pretty tasty!

Ole, brussel sprouts taste similar to cabbage (in my opinion) but a bit milder in flavor maybe..
I like just about anything wrapped in bacon. lol

I smoke these just like I do bacon wrapped corn on the cob...when I put them in the smoker I do not move it around. Just let it sit or the bacon will fall off.

Thanks again. :)

Tasty INDEED!!! You did it again...now I gotta finda sumn tasty to nibble on 'til dinner is ready!!! SLURP!

Thanks for sharing sharing such a sweet smoke!

Eric

Very nice smoke you put together there Jeanie. I especially loved the brussel sprout idea. You did great with the presentation too. 'Unique' is a huge understatement. Thanks for sharing the QVIEW with us,

Tom

Thank you Eric, Shawn, Chris, Dave, Des and Tom!! You're too sweet!

Jim, they were tasty. I used fresh sprouts..I suppose frozen would work just the same. They were nice and tender with a smokey flavor. The bacon added a lot of flavor. I did season them a bit before wrapping.

I didn't move them around in the smoker..just left them in the same spot the whole smoke so the bacon wouldn't come off. :)
Good luck to you if you try them. :)

Jeanie...you have done it again. Here I have been absent over a month and I see this in the first five minutes...sigh!! Asusual a fine feed for anyone.
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky