Q-View: First smoked turkey breast and some wings too

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
I decided to try my first turkey. I went with a breast at 6.7 lbs. I did a simple brine of kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, Tony's seasoning, and black pepper.

I brined the bird just over six hours. I read somewhere that a good rule of thumb was about one hour per pound. And I didn't want to over brine it. After it brined, I pulled it out of the brine and let it rest in the fridge overnight.

I also did some wing flats. I used Allegro Hot & Spicy because that's what I inject my turkeys with and it's one of my favorite marinades. I injected each wing, then put them in the marinade and let them soak overnight.

Before going on the smoke, I brushed the turkey with some olive oil and dusted the turkey with more Tony's, black pepper, and garlic powder. Here's the turkey and wings ready for the smoke...

I couldn't find apple wood in chunks, so I did foil pouches of a fistful of apple chips, with a palmful of hickory thrown in as well. Things got a little crowded in the smoker, so I had to do the wings in two batches. I knew they would cook faster anyway...

Temperature held pretty steady at about 260. I used lump and the minion method. I did have to add at least one extra chimney. Primarily because this smoker is a hunka-junk. Has zero vents or valves. And I haven't been able to put in a grate or something so the coals smother in their own ashes.

The wings were done after about an hour and a half and then I crisped them up a bit on the grill...

The wings were fantastic. I will say they were a bit too spicy. Next time I will probably use the regular Allegro. I love spicy, can't get enough. But this almost overpowered the smoke it was so hot. Which confuses me because my fried turkeys are never that way and I inject them with Allegro H&S. But I guess I don't submerge my turkeys in the Allegro like I did the wings. But the smoke flavor was perfect. Spot on.

Here is the turkey...

I was a little disappointed in the turkey, honestly. It had great smoke flavor but was a little bland. And not as juicy as I would have liked. I guess I need to brine longer next time? Would love to hear everyone's advice. I'm not giving up on this. Just need more practice. I would also like to crisp the skin up a bit more. But I guess I would have to do that in the oven or on the grill because I can't get that smoker much hotter than 260 or 275. But I wouldn't want to dry it out at the same time. What do you guys and gals think? Thanks, y'all.

TB

It all looks great
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
How long in the brine really depends on the amount of salt in the brine. I like to use Travcoman45's brine and its very good as is or you can add spices as you like.

Thanks everyone. Regardless, I still enjoy getting out there and cooking during a full day of SEC football. Pineywoods, I'll certainly have to try that brine next time. That may solve my problems.

icon_cool.gif

Well your bird looks good if that means anything. For your brine I would also recommend Travcoman 45 's brine it called Tip's "Slaughter house brine". I have used it many many times and it's the only one I use on poultry of any kind. So get out there and smoke you another bird and see if it works better for ya.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky