Putting coals below the rack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jessedee

Original poster
May 12, 2010
As you can see from the picture I have my top rack removed for the moment.

My bottom rack is bolted in. I was thinking of un-bolting the bottom rack and tossing some coal down there for grilling.

Is that a bad idea to do with a smoker?

8650ee4b_IMG00141.jpg

Last edited:
cool.gif

Now there's a couple of questions that come to mind right off the bat. You don't have a regular grill for grilling???? Next isn't there a tuning plate underneath the bottom rack that you want to take out??? Next thing is that's your smoker and you can do anything you want to but why is another question. Go out and buy a cheap weber kettle or something is what I would do and leave the lang alone.

I have a grill, but this thing is like 5 feet long. I can grill up for a party. That is what I am wanting to do.

I am not sure what a turnign plate is, its just hollow down below. I was just wondering if putting coals down there would ruin it?

A couple things come to mind looking at that picture.First is what kind of smoker is that do you know who built it? I see a bottle under the smoker is that to catch drippings is there a pipe extending down towards it?

It looks like a reverse flow smoker. Hopefully that bottom plate is thick enough to withstand the heat generated by the coals. If it is, then I guess you can if you can plug the drain hole on the bottom plate and keep coals from falling off the side and into the lower chamber (if that is what it is called),

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky