pumpkin seeds

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patg

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Chicago, Il
Thinking of smoking my seeds this year. My plan is to coat some in honey and sprinkle with sea salt, and others just use lawrys. How have everyone's turned out? Now my questions:
1. Soak in water or no? If so how long?
2. What wood to use I have pecan, cherry or apple? And how much chips to use?
3. How long to smoke/cook for?
4. Is honey alright smoked?

Alright smoking the seeds now using cherry wood. Seeds are covered with honey and half have sea salt and the other have cayenne. Figure I will give them about 45 or so and stir them see how they look/taste. Did I mention that its pouring rain!

There they are in all their golden glory. I must say for having nothing to go off of they are quite delicious. Smoked for about 1 hr 45 min using two handfuls of cherry wood chips.
My suggestions for the others:
Dry seeds off before coating. Don't know how much it will help or make a difference but worth a shot.
Spray cookie sheet with pam or something the honey stuck a little .
Cook a little longer I am thinking 2 hrs or so might be better.
Cool them in fridge maybe help with honey turning seeds into a glob.

All in all one heck of a great first go.

Lots of goods in there c farmer. Hope this lived up to your expectations. Recipe:
Coat half of seeds in enough honey for a light glaze
Spread on foil cookie sheet with many many holes punched in bottom
Sprinkle with fresh ground sea salt to lightly cover all.

1/4 tsp of cayenne added to honey
Add seeds and stir to coat
Spread on same typed of sheet

Smoke with your likings. My Masterbuilt 40 propane was at about 250

Thanks. I am pleased. And the cayenne gives it just enough of a bite to offset all the sweet. I have a bad gut and can't handle too much heat these days, so if you like hot hot then up the pepper.

Rinsing, then drying the seeds helps quite a bit with the process when baking pumpkin seeds.
Adding the honey will also create issues. I'm thinking that using a process similar to Scarbelly's spicy and sweet nuts might work out really good! Hope we have done good seeds. We had 6 pumpkins, but two were on the vines that snaked under the fence and into our neighbors yard. The two little girls that live there were super excited! So we have four!

I will have to check into his process. They did crunch up a bit. Great looking pumpkins there. Nice of you to share with them. We had a guy down the block who would let them rot before giving them away to any of us.

Rinsing, then drying the seeds helps quite a bit with the process when baking pumpkin seeds.
Adding the honey will also create issues. I'm thinking that using a process similar to Scarbelly's spicy and sweet nuts might work out really good! Hope we have done good seeds. We had 6 pumpkins, but two were on the vines that snaked under the fence and into our neighbors yard. The two little girls that live there were super excited! So we have four!

ROFLMAO!

Thanks dirtsailor. That recipe looks good. Now I have smoking nuts on the to do list.

Thanks dirtsailor. That recipe looks good. Now I have smoking nuts on the to do list.
Be careful with that recipe, they are super addicting! We make several batches to include in our holiday goody baskets that we give to our family. Besides the smoked cheese it's our most requested item!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky