Pulling a brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by funkadelic73, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Can you pull a flat, or does it tend to be more dry? What about if it's separated from the point when you cook it?

I've bought point before and smoked it alone for burnt ends. They turned out terrific. My first flat was... questionable. But I've become a little more SEASONED with my smoker these days.

I've never pulled a brisket, though. Just sliced it. I have seen some guys talking about pulling at 190, and I'd like to try it. But I've never bought a packer cut. Is pulling reserved just for a packer? And do you pull both the point and the flat?

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

you can pull it.......but you need to get internals at 200-205..........it will pull just fine.........

3. dohie

dohie Newbie

What he said. i will pull at about 200ish and then let it rest in towels in a ice chest for few hours and when I pull it out it will pull apart with your hands, fork or what ever tool you want to use :)

4. I've seen some threads to say you start to flirt with dryness at 200-205 with a brisket. And since I'm thinking specifically of pulling a flat, am I going to have troubles?

I know I should be embarassed by asking this. I'm showing my inexperience by only doing the two cuts of brisket separately. :)

5. walking dude

yeah..........what he said..........but watch it.........it will STILL be hot.......

[​IMG]

6. walking dude

i sometimes foil at 170 to help with moisture..........and spritz it down WELL.........then take it to 200, then wrap in towels, and cooler it for couple hours.........trust me, it won't be dry.......but you need, IMHO, to foil, to keep it moist........