Pulled Pork Smoke w/1st Qview and a question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rj2316

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Dallas, OR
Ok guys. I did a couple of shoulders last night. This is my first Qview, so they might be out of order...

Rubbed and ready to go

One hour in

2 hours in

3 hours in

Out of the smoker and ready for the oven after 6 hours of smoke (165 degrees)

After foiling and out of the oven after 6 hours until 205 degrees.

This is one of the better one's I've done. I let it rest in a cooler for wrapped up in a towel for 2 hours. It was super juicy and tender. I just used a couple of forks to pull it. I thought I took a pic of it pulled, but apparently it didn't make it. I used a combination of Kingsford lump and Oak for smoke. My question is this, after I pulled it and was getting ready for a sandwich, I realized I didn't have any cider vinegar. It's in the fridge now until I can get some cider vinegar for finishing sauce. My question is this; how do you guys reheat it and use the finishing sauce? Usually I add the finishing sauce right away and just reheat it with the finishing sauce already added. I saved the juices from cooking and will use that somehow to reheat it. When do I add the finishing sauce or should I just put it in a squirt bottle and put it on the sammies as we eat them? Thanks for the info and hope you enjoyed the Qview!

I would reheat in the "O" at 250* or lower (covered roaster or DO), then drizzle the finish sauce over it and gently toss it to blend it in a bit. I would think the PP may have a few strong/tart spots from the sauce if added at the very end on a sammie.

Just my thoughts...I always do the final prep before any is served so you get the most consistent product.

Nice smoke you had there!

Eric

I always have a drip pan under the pork with 3 cups beef stock and some thinly sliced onions, and add the juices back after de fatting them and pulling, you may not need a finishing sauce it is thst good.

Good luck!

I always serve the finishing sauce from a squirt bottle. I don't heat it up, just leave it at room temperature.

Nice job on your first pp.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
I reheat pp in the microwave as needed. You can add a bit of the juice to keep it moist while reheating. I put the finishing sauce on after it's reheated.

Sorry for the confusion...this wasn't my first PP (not that it matters), just the first time I didn't have finishing sauce on hand right away. It sounds like that doesn't matter. I'm sure using the dripping with the onions is fantastic, I know it is, but there is something about the sweet and hot and tanginess that a good finishing sauce adds to the PP that is like crack to me. That might be the longest sentence I've ever written. Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm at work and I'm getting hungry. Can't wait to get home and eat.

I always inject some of foil juices back into butt-after i reach my internal-then let rest-kinda a internal saucing.Either way i seperste the fat a bit and mix with sauce as needed.

If you add butt juices to sauce-do not -store.Could be bad.Keep juices and sauce seperate and mix together when you need...My 2 cents...

Do you have the juices leftover from the resting period?
If so then definitely mix a bit of them with it.
As for the finishing sauce, I guess you could do without it if you used BBQ sauce but I have never gone that route, I always use finishing sauce, a bit 'o coleslaw on a white bun and good to go.
When reheating I would add back a little of the juices, either in the oven at 225 to reheat or the microwave on 50% power for short bursts, add back the juices or a tad bit of apple juice to keep the meat form drying out. When it is pretty much hot and done I add a few good squirts of finishing sauce to the meat, toss it well then place on the bun and a few more squirts of finishing sauce, just after midnight and you have me wanting to go reheat some pork and have a sammie...well at least I know what I'll be having for breakfast tomorrow.

Fire it up-that's exactly what I was thinking I would do. The worst part is that it got done right around lunch time and then I realized no cider vinegar. I've been craving it the whole time I've been at work.

ya what fired up says and yes 1 of those cheap catsoup bottles work great as a finish sauce squirt.

Ok ,I have to ask, i'm an okie but I don't understand ,what does vinegar do to PB? I've never tried it ,thought about it one time just to see what happens. I do PB semi-sweet, and tomato base sauce. just wondering.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky