Pulled Pork QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ol' smokey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 4, 2009
Parma, Ohio
Made 2 10 pounders for a bar restaurant I frequent.
I smoked them for 6 hours then into the oven at 250* to cook to 200* internal. Covered and rested for a couple hours more then pulled. Rubbed them down and put them in pans. I want to save the grease to add some back in later.

Thanks for looking

Smokey , that is some great lookin pulled pork , thanks for makin me drool
wink.gif

Congrats on a great smoke, and thanks for sharing the Q View. I'm sure it was enjoyed by all.

Excellent job! I don't save the grease. Pour all the juice into a glass container, put in the fridge until the grease on top sets up then discard the grease. You will be left with just awesome juice.

Ditto, great job.

Sorry if this is a stoopid question... why the two stage cooking? I'm curious why it was in the smoker for 6 hours, then an oven to bring it to 200 internal? Would cooking in the smoker the whole time be a bad thing?

The reasons(2) I finish them inside is:
1. As I understand it the smoking of the meat is complete at 140* internal so why waste more charcoal to finish it.
2. My oven has a temp probe so I set it up to shut the oven down when the butt reaches 200*. Then I can get a full nights sleep and pull it in the morning.

As the weather warms here I will go back to finishing them right in the smoker.

Actually the smoking of the meat is not necessarily done at 140* the smoke ring stops forming but the meat will continue to take in smoke flavor. I sometimes finish in the oven for a number of reasons but I put it in the oven after I foil which is by internal temp and not time it. Check out this thread about the smoke ring formation

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/sho...ght=Smoke+Ring

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky