Pulled Pork Paloooza w/ Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Found some bone-in pork shoulders on sale for .99/lb., so I grabbed 4 and smoked 2 yesterday!  (2 hit the freezer for an event to be named later!)  These were all about 6 pounders.  Rubbed with salt, pepper and brown sugar.  Into the smoker they went at about 9:40am with some hickory for smoke...

a7428caa_IMG_1768.jpg

Got a really nice stable temp going...

b85419b9_IMG_1767.jpg

Foiled at 165* (one hit IT at about 8:30 pm, the other around 9:30pm).  Oddly enough, they both hit the 195* mark at the same time, though -- around 11:30 pm.  Ya just never know.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  That's why it's done when it's done.  A total of about 14 hours.  Here they are all wrapped up for a snooze:

a7d53cde_IMG_1776.jpg

So now I have a decision: wait up for another hour to pull and then refrigerate, or get up really early to pull and refrigerate.  I decided to wait up.  These puppies fell apart perfectly, and the bones came out clean as a whistle.  Juicy and tender.  The aroma was driving the poor dog nuts even AFTER he got the bone out of the chuckie I finished smoking earlier in the evening!

8892b37f_IMG_1777.jpg

Here is one of them all ready to go!  I have TWO of these pans in my fridge!!!  Saved the drippings, too:

901c8adb_IMG_1780.jpg

I will skim the fat off tomorrow.  Couldn't resist a quick late night taste-test, don't ya know!!!

82dcbd4e_IMG_1781.jpg

Great color, fantastic flavor -- couldn't me much happier unless my family would let me add more heat to the rub!  As it stands, I have to add it as a condiment rather than an ingredient.  Oh, well.  I cook to please family and friends before myself.  Much of this batch is for dinner tomorrow evening with friends and family.  Then: FIREWORKS!!!!

Thanks for looking!  Have a happy 4th!!! 
usa.gif

James those butts turned out Fantastic...your going to be eating pulled pork this week around the house!! Thanks for the Q-View and have a great 4th.
drool.gif

Yaaaaaaa!!  Looks delicious...From what I have read only 1 major stall so far today..

My 2 went like clock work too!!

Have a great weekend!!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky