Pulled Pork for a Work Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chalupabatman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
1st time I have done a shoulder, and I am super excited.

Got the smoker setup right about 230-232. Got the meat on the heat a little before 9am Pacific. Its going to be warm today in Seattle so I will watch the temp this afternoon. Here it is rubbed up and in the cabinet.

EDIT: Realized this should be in the general Pork forum... Its harder to tell on mobile.

Last edited:
Nice Start !!
icon14.gif

Be Back!

popcorn.gif

Bear

It was just about 8.5 pounds, so around 12 hours. I am 2 hours in, and I am going to make smoke for about anothr hour or so, then just do heat. Quick pic of the 2 hours checkup.
3 hours of smoke isn't very much, unless you're putting it on real heavy.

I give it light smoke the whole time, until I foil it. But that's me.

Just thought I'd mention that, because a lot of guys when they do their first Butts say there wasn't enough smoke flavor. You need more smoke on a Butt than you need on Ribs, because of how thick the butt is compared to Ribs. 

Bear

It was just about 8.5 pounds, so around 12 hours. I am 2 hours in, and I am going to make smoke for about anothr hour or so, then just do heat. Quick pic of the 2 hours check
It was just about 8.5 pounds, so around 12 hours. I am 2 hours in, and I am going to make smoke for about anothr hour or so, then just do heat. Quick pic of the 2 hours checkup.
By doing just heat, do you mean only using charcoal to maintain the heat?

"Just heat" i meant no more smoke. I feel like I often read that after 3-4 hours the meat doesnt "soak" up anymore smoke?

As far as 18.5 hours, I hope it doesnt take that long!! If i am not making the progress I need this afternoonc ill throw it in a tin with some apple juice and foil it up.

"Just heat" i meant no more smoke. I feel like I often read that after 3-4 hours the meat doesnt "soak" up anymore smoke?

That's an old wives tale, and has been debunked.

Meat takes smoke as long as you put it there.

Some guys smoke Butts for 14 hours, Briskets for 18 hours,  their Bacon for days & days.

Many hours of light smoke is good, but even a short time of heavy smoke can be bad.

Bear

As far as 18.5 hours, I hope it doesnt take that long!! If i am not making the progress I need this afternoonc ill throw it in a tin with some apple juice and foil it up.
No more smoke means no more wood, right?

That's an old wives tale, and has been debunked.

Meat takes smoke as long as you put it there.

Some guys smoke Butts for 14 hours, Briskets for 18 hours,  their Bacon for days & days.

Many hours of light smoke is good, but even a short time of heavy smoke can be bad.

Bear

Good to know, unfortunately I only had applewood for about 3 hours of smoke. I have my last packet on there now. I will remember that for next time.

Got the probe in, 127 after 3 hours.

I do have some hickory chips... Thoughts on keeping the smoke going with that?
All I use is Hickory, but I use the AMNPS, which does't put out heavy smoke when I light only one end.

You can keep using Hickory Chips through that whole smoke, but keep it light---only a couple chips at a time.

Bear

I was hickory in my AMNPS list on only end, put I supplement it with some apple chips in the MES tray every now and them. Works great.

I had been mixing a little hickory into the apple packets. THE SMOKE CONTINUES!! Using 100% hickory chips now. Meat is up to 138 IT.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky