Pulled pork finishing sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stickyfingers

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Upstate, SC
Over the weekend, I ate at Smokey Oak Taproom in Charleston, SC. The BBQ is quite good...really good. Their pulled pork had a salty taste (no wang) which I assume was a finishing sauce added. Most I have had is sweet, including my own.

I'm sure it's not vinegar....I hate vinegar! I looked at several recipies without much success. Any suggestions?

(it was almost like the taste of their kielbasa)  

Over the weekend, I ate at Smokey Oak Taproom in Charleston, SC. The BBQ is quite good...really good. Their pulled pork had a salty taste (no wang) which I assume was a finishing sauce added. Most I have had is sweet, including my own.

I'm sure it's not vinegar....I hate vinegar! I looked at several recipies without much success. Any suggestions?

(it was almost like the taste of their kielbasa)  
Sounds more like additional Rub added to the Pulled Pork rather than a Finishing Sauce. Possibly a week Brine, made with water or stock, where the herbs and spices were steeped in..,JJ

Last edited:

Sounds more like additional Rub added to the Pulled Pork rather than a Finishing Sauce. Possibly a week Brine, made with water or stock, where the herbs and spices were steeped in..,JJ
Didn't think of that. I agree though. Sounds about right. Wish I knew what it was...I really liked it. I guess I will try to come up with something the next time I do a butt. Thanks Chef for replying!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky