Pulled Chuck

Discussion in 'Beef' started by wvsmokeman, May 20, 2007.

1. wvsmokeman

wvsmokeman Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I have always smoked chuck roasts to slice. Thanks to the posts here I decided to take it on up a notch! I rubbed it down the night before, foiled it at about 150 degrees internal and cooked it up to 200 degrees. I let it set for about 45 minutes and when I opened the foil it was a beautiful site to behold. Pulled with ease. This will be for sammies this week. Here are some pics of the finished product.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. t-bone tim

t-bone tim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice WV, gonna have some great sammies this week ![​IMG]

3. steevieg

steevieg Fire Starter

Nice, I did the same thing 2 weeks ago.

4. atlsmoker

atlsmoker Fire Starter

looks great!!

5. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

looks good.

6. triple b

triple b Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Looks awesome man!!!
    Been thinking of doing the same thing.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Got droolin' for some sammies!

7. monty

monty Master of the Pit Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Better put a guard on your lunch pail! Again, lookin' good, WV!

Cheers!

8. hillbillysmoker

hillbillysmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Absolutely gorgeous. I must try this so it is on my to do list. Did you spritz with apple juice or anything?

9. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice job if you feel like please do feel free to share the recipe with us

10. wvsmokeman

Thanks for the compliments! To answer some questions. I spread mustard over the roast, used Jeff's rub and applied it yesterday evening. This morning, just before I placed it in the smoker, I added some more rub to thicken it up a bit. Once an hour, I spritzed it with apple juice and turned it over. I like a lot of smoke and nice bark so I smoked it until I thought it looked right which turned out to be 150 degrees internal. Then I foiled it and let it get to 200 degrees before I removed it from the smoker. Total time was a little over 6 hours at a steady 225 degrees with chunks of Hickory providing the thin blue smoke. This was my first pulled Chuck but it won't be the last!

11. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Looks great WV -

Never tried chuck for pullin bet that was tastey!

12. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks awesome WV [​IMG] Definetly gonna try that. what did you pay a pound, i'm thinkin those are pretty cheap around here

13. hawgheaven

hawgheaven Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG] Man, that looks great... I gotta try that!

14. jts70

jts70 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Awesome ! Good Job

15. smokin for life

smokin for life Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Once again I just learn something new. Now if anyone can tell me what to do with my kitchen range. The only thing I use it for now is making spaggetti sauce.

16. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What kind of finishing sauce would you use for that? I'm thinking that the vinegar based sauce I use for NC style pulled pork wouldn't be as good on beef...

17. deer meat

deer meat Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I may have missed it, But how much did that baby weight before you smoked it. I want to try that, just wondering how t gauge the weight to the time.

Thanks

DEER MEAT

18. wvsmokeman

It was a little over 4 pounds. I may do another this weekend, it was really good.[​IMG]

19. camocook

camocook Meat Mopper

Almost bought one last weekend when I couldn't find a brisket. I looked at some that were about 2 1/2 " thick. and cheaper than brisket. might be my choice this week. Did I say how great yours looked?

20. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

It's been on my list ... but now it is jumping the line.... Looks great! [​IMG]