Puerco Pibil!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I swear FIU, every dish you make is better than the last one. Man does that look good. Awesome
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
:PDT_ Armataz_01_34:
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Gosh dangit, my big fat sausage finger hit the send button before I could give you some points on a great recipe.
points.gif

I love Puerco Pibil. Never tried smoking it but it looks fantastic, something for the to-do list.
points.gif

Here is the video of the process just using an oven...

That was originally where I got the recipe, from Robert Rodriguez/Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

Last edited:
Man, I tried to make it awhile back and for so,me reason it was terrible. It was too earthy. I think I put way too much annatto or lime juice in it. Seeing as everyone raves about the dish, I think ill have to try it again. I even smoked the pieces over hickory for a couple hours. Back to the drawing board I guess.

That Looks Great Jim, Also Looks Like a Lot of Work...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Very good!! It might seem counter productive but Ive been wanting to try the whole picnic(or even what you got there) wrapped in banana leaves right from the get go on the smoker straight through? I figure it would slow down the smoke absorbtion but but but, well Ive got to try it now for sure, with the annatto marinade.

Great dish, and nice pics too. Your recipe is coming from the old Mayan territory, tried and true cooking. Keep those old world flavors going my friend.

according to my wife, most of my cooking tastes exactly like that. the thing is that the rest of the family, as well as the friends and neighbors, seem to like my cooking, especially my barbecue, so i keep doing it....
icon_redface.gif

Jim, you've outdone yourself yet again. Absolutely fantastic pibil and beautiful pictures too. You've really sparked my craving for it, especially since I know I have a pack of banana leaves in the deepfreeze. Thank you for sharing such a delight!

points.gif

Man oh Man that looks great there Dave. I really like that recipe also but the banana leaves might be hard to get around here but I guess I coul just take some off the neighbors tree. Ha
points.gif
again for the coming up with another new dish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky