Puerco Pibil!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by fire it up, Jan 23, 2010.

1. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sorry...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. meat hunter

meat hunter Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I swear FIU, every dish you make is better than the last one. Man does that look good. Awesome[​IMG][​IMG]:pDT_ Armataz_01_34:[​IMG]

3. meat hunter

meat hunter Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Gosh dangit, my big fat sausage finger hit the send button before I could give you some points on a great recipe. [​IMG]

4. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Damn man, great looking dish!

[​IMG]for the history lesson

5. the iceman

the iceman Smoking Fanatic

I love Puerco Pibil. Never tried smoking it but it looks fantastic, something for the to-do list. [​IMG]

Here is the video of the process just using an oven...

6. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That was originally where I got the recipe, from Robert Rodriguez/Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. Man, I tried to make it awhile back and for so,me reason it was terrible. It was too earthy. I think I put way too much annatto or lime juice in it. Seeing as everyone raves about the dish, I think ill have to try it again. I even smoked the pieces over hickory for a couple hours. Back to the drawing board I guess.

8. alx

alx Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice work dere jimbo.....Looks mighty tasty if i do say....

9. got14u

got14u Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice post... that is my kinda food there buddy ![​IMG]

10. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That Looks Great Jim, Also Looks Like a Lot of Work...[​IMG]

11. williamzanzinger

williamzanzinger Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Very good!! It might seem counter productive but Ive been wanting to try the whole picnic(or even what you got there) wrapped in banana leaves right from the get go on the smoker straight through? I figure it would slow down the smoke absorbtion but but but, well Ive got to try it now for sure, with the annatto marinade.

12. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Now thats a pork dish! I think thats gonna be my superbowl smoke, thanks. [​IMG]

13. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great dish, and nice pics too. Your recipe is coming from the old Mayan territory, tried and true cooking. Keep those old world flavors going my friend.

14. tasunkawitko

tasunkawitko Master of the Pit OTBS Member

if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

15. Indeed, I just never thought a butt could taste like... well a butt.

16. tasunkawitko

tasunkawitko Master of the Pit OTBS Member

according to my wife, most of my cooking tastes exactly like that. the thing is that the rest of the family, as well as the friends and neighbors, seem to like my cooking, especially my barbecue, so i keep doing it....[​IMG]

17. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Jim, you've outdone yourself yet again. Absolutely fantastic pibil and beautiful pictures too. You've really sparked my craving for it, especially since I know I have a pack of banana leaves in the deepfreeze. Thank you for sharing such a delight!

[​IMG]

18. chisoxjim

chisoxjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

nice pibil there, I would have a few of those tacos for sure.[​IMG]

19. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man oh Man that looks great there Dave. I really like that recipe also but the banana leaves might be hard to get around here but I guess I coul just take some off the neighbors tree. Ha[​IMG]again for the coming up with another new dish.

20. surgem7

surgem7 Fire Starter

Viva.... Once Upon a Time in Mexico