Publix $.49 per pound Turkeys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice!

Target had Butterball Turkeys for $0.99/lb so bought 2. People rave over Butterball but I kind of feel they are all about the same. We'll see if these Butterballs are much different.

I always buy Butterball, but they were .99 lb, so I just got the Publix brand. These are the first ones I have bought, so we’ll see how they are. I have never got anything from Publix that wasn’t top of the line.
Al

Reactions: tallbm
I'm kind of surprised about the lack of Turkey and Ham deals in the TX DFW area.
Target seems to have the best deals by far.

$.79/lb turkeys, $.99/lb Butterball turkeys, and $.89/lb hams.

Other stores (excluding sorry ass Walmart) seem to be doing the Free Turkey with $100 grocery purchase excluding the turkey's cost. Ham does not seem to be on sale.
A small but very nice chain of stores called "Market Street" has $.77/lb turkey and also a limit 1 digital deal to get the same turkey for $.37/lb.

That's it around here. Didn't bother checking the higher end stores, they don't really have great deals that I've ever seen for the average Joe. I'm sure if you want a high end turkey it will be marked down some but nothing like what we normally mess with.

One bright note, Tom Thumb/Albersons/Safeway has $.97/lb Pork Butts. So if you want to create your own shoulder "ham" you can do like I did. All the ham prices are dissapointing at the moment. Feast your eyes on my Thanksgiving and Christmas "hams" I made over the weekend, vac sealed and froze !!!

b9tdu0m-jpg.jpg

tQnfxYG.jpg

3oeTea8.jpg

I always buy Butterball, but they were .99 lb, so I just got the Publix brand. These are the first ones I have bought, so we’ll see how they are. I have never got anything from Publix that wasn’t top of the line.
Al

I’ve cooked both together and honestly like the Publix birds quite a bit better.

Got a 14# from Walmart for .87$ /# last week out of fear they would be scarce. Just got back from Publix and didn’t even look ( beer run). Neighbors coming over tonight so had to start smoking the cream cheese 😁👍👍
24FB2FFC-70E1-4072-9358-0FBFAF564A7C.jpeg

I'm kind of surprised about the lack of Turkey and Ham deals in the TX DFW area.
Target seems to have the best deals by far.

$.79/lb turkeys, $.99/lb Butterball turkeys, and $.89/lb hams.

Other stores (excluding sorry ass Walmart) seem to be doing the Free Turkey with $100 grocery purchase excluding the turkey's cost. Ham does not seem to be on sale.
A small but very nice chain of stores called "Market Street" has $.77/lb turkey and also a limit 1 digital deal to get the same turkey for $.37/lb.

That's it around here. Didn't bother checking the higher end stores, they don't really have great deals that I've ever seen for the average Joe. I'm sure if you want a high end turkey it will be marked down some but nothing like what we normally mess with.

One bright note, Tom Thumb/Albersons/Safeway has $.97/lb Pork Butts. So if you want to create your own shoulder "ham" you can do like I did. All the ham prices are dissapointing at the moment. Feast your eyes on my Thanksgiving and Christmas "hams" I made over the weekend, vac sealed and froze !!!

View attachment 516427
tQnfxYG.jpg

3oeTea8.jpg

Ok I was wrong. The stores doing the Free Turkey with $100 purchase also have in tiny print that you can get a Turkey for a much lower price if spending $25-$30. So $.35/lb at Tom Thumb/Albersons/Safeway, and $.69/lb at Kroger.

That feels more like the right deals.

Every year I tell myself not going to buy one then turn around and buy. Not a big turkey fan and only me. The best way to I have done is Pop's Brine than smoke but I would rather have chicken. I might talk myself into a Kirkwood Boneless Turkey Breast from Aldi though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorenzoid
Thats a great deal!!! I stocked up a couple myself. Our local meijer had them this week for $0.33 lb!

I got one from Meijer last week at that price, thinking about picking up another just to have around. For a good few years I bought Butterball's and last year with everything going on I got a Meijer brand. I was more than satisfied with the outcome.

Reactions: Sowsage
Every year I tell myself not going to buy one then turn around and buy. Not a big turkey fan and only me. The best way to I have done is Pop's Brine than smoke but I would rather have chicken. I might talk myself into a Kirkwood Boneless Turkey Breast from Aldi though.

Cured is basically the only way I do a smoked turkey these days. I prefer the cured thigh and then drum over all else.

I'm not a huge fan of the breast but it comes out well. The best I've done is to debone the breast and remove the skin and then really season it up and cure/brine it well for sandwich meat. I am likely to do this with the two 23 pound turkeys I bought that are defrosting in the fridge now.
Part them out, debone the breast, cure it all, and then do sandwich meat seasoning on the breast and smoke all parts. Might leave the necks and the butts for my father, those are his favorite parts lol. He can grill those.

I thought about taking the turkey breast and grinding it with pork fat and attempting turkey sausage but not sure I want to spend my spare time fooling with that. I don't have much spare time as it is and work is killing me so I need to just lay on my ass and relax when I do have it haha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky