Proper Smoking Temp ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swestsmkr

Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Hi All
Gettin a little confused....but I think it has to do with eatin skin or not eatin skin.

I have read smoker temps of 225 to 250 and 300 to 350. Which is correct.....or should I more correctly say.....what temp is best for smoking a turkey that has been apple brined. This is in a offset smoker. Thanks all.

I think most people are going say, 350. Poultry takes on smoke better than most meats. It also doesn't have all of the connective tissue to break down like beef or pork, so there's no benefit there. I'm not a skin eater, so I don't worry about the crispyness issue. I smoke chickens at 250, but will admit I've never smoked a turkey.

It's not necessarily right or wrong just a matter of taste.
wink.gif

300 to 350 will get you a nice crispy skin and bringing and injecting add flavor!

ENjoy!

So it's okay to smoke it at lower temps then huh?

I don't think I could get my smoker that high this time of year.

Yep deb's right!

Either way high or low works. High temps make crispy skin that's the only difference.

Hey all! Havent been here in a while but been a member since last year. I have always cooked low and slow and the bird always comes out nice. I havent quite figured out how to keep my fire 350 degrees consistently / constant. Does anyone have and tips for this? In addition, in the past I have used just regular Kingsford coals. This holiday Im going to try lump coal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. In addition I use a chimney starter to get my fire going.

dude..........DONT change up charcoals at the holidays.........do what has werked.........or at least PRACTICE before you do a holiday meal, thats on the line for a bunch of pips........tho thasts just my opinon

i am sure others will be along to help out better.......

d88de

Welcome back JohnBoy!
I'm with Dude on this one wait until after Thankgiving then experiment with new charcoal. Lump burns faster and hotter but until you learn to cotrol it you may have burnt toast instead of smoked turkey!

Skipper-
I'm sorry I forgot what kind of smoker you have. Was it an ECB? A windbreak will help with the temperatures when the weather gets rough be it wind, rain, snow or sleet AND saves on fuel!

If you can't keep your temps up do the best you can. AJ posted a thread about using Mayonaise that seems to work great on low and slow turkeys that's another option.

Watch the danger zone tho, don't let a bird, especially an unCURED <different than brined> hang out below 140 Internal for too long. Get er up there ASAP.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky