Propane -vs- Electric

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Are there any members out there that own both an MES and some kind of propane smoker? I currently have an MES and am toying with the idea of getting a propane smoker also. I'm curious to hear what differences one may find between the two while using them. Thanks in advance for any info.

I have both. Started with a propane ECB about 25 years ago. Added an electric a couple years ago so I could control temps better (built a PID for it), do lower temp smoking... and fit more in it, specifically jerky was a pain in the ECB because I could only do small batches. Also I used to do side dishes in the DO or in the oven - nice to put beans, corn, spuds, & appetizers right in there with the meat. Yeah, I think size matters.

Very limited temp control on my propane due to a wimpy valve (Thats fixable, but I haven't bothered.) No insulation at all which means wind and winter lengthen cooking times significantly. I find that I cannot do without the water pan in it. Yeah, I know - throw a welding blanket around it, yes, that helps a lot.

Lets see... adding more chunks of wood to the propane is tougher because I have to take off the food, then the water pan, then the bottom rack, and wedge the chunks into the lava rocks in such a way that the water pan will still sit straight without spilling.

When the propane tank is low I kind of have to babysit it so I can switch out tanks...

End result is that I find I'm using the propane for big turkeys, the electric for everything else. If I were in your situation I think I'd probably build a uds instead of buying a propane smoker, but that's me.

Now that you've made me think about it, I guess my conclusion would be that the size is the biggest disadvantage. If my propane smoker were bigger, I might have never bought the electric.

i have both a gosm big block, have had for over 5 years... and have also an MES SS 40, i have used the MES only on a couple occaisions. i bought it for when i want a virtually hands free smoke. only thing it requires is every so often go and add a chunk of wood, i generally use quarter sized pieces and find they burn well, chips just seem to disappear way to fast compare to using just a couple small chunks at a time. as far as temp it is all electronicly controlled so set it and wait for thermo to tell you its time to foil or you have reached pull temp.

i dont know why but as easy as the MES makes it, i use my GOSM 99 percent of the time. not sure what it is, maybe because i have the temp control in it down pat, maybe because i like the visual appearance of the food better than from the electric... no smoke ring with an electric, i know some have played around and have had varying results in attaining smoke ring in an electric but i think its pretty much a given they tough to get. so that said i guess i need to get a stick burner if i really want a smoker... well working on that too. but thats another story.

but back to the GOSM, great smoker, dont need electricity so it makes it mobile for trips to the lake, gathings, etc... need the propane though. as far as baby setting tanks, thats where the ET73 comes in, monitors smoker box temp. drops below a certain point alarm goes off and go change tank. i find it very useful in using up all the propane tanks i have with a few pounds left in them, not enough for another day ice fishing but ya buddy will run that smoker for a while... many people have modded the GOSM chip box, and installed a regulator to bring temps down... i personally have done no mods, still use cast chip box and have no problem maintaining 225-250 degree box temps. if i want to do any cold smoking i simply wait until winter months. the GOSM is also a little more "built tough" than the MES, is made of heavier materials, the only plastic is the igniter and temp knobs.

all in all they are great smokers and you cant go wrong either way. its simply a preference which an individual has to decide for themselves what they are looking for. i would have to go with the GOSM for durability, there really is nothing to go wrong except maybe clean air intake to burner and change tanks. the MES has been prone to some electrical problems. mine has given me none. but anything electrical is more likley to break down. but the electrical gives you the set it forget it feature which the other does not. do some research, read what others have to say in this thread, and get what will work for you the best. who knows maybe you end up with both too.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post that Erain! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Now I just have to find a GOSM.
biggrin.gif

As long as you can find the big block GOSM then get it but if you cann't find it try looking at the Smoke Vault 24" I have both and I like the vault better thean the GOSM.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky