Propane Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawnk

Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Hey guys. First off I'm glad I found this place, you guys seem very knowledgeable about smoking! As for me, I have been smoking meat on and off for the past couple years. Traditionally I have been using a set up of 2 terracotta pots with an electrical element to provide the heat for the wood chips. While this worked well for me I felt it was finally time to upgrade. I put together a wooden smoke hut. Its built mainly out of 2by2s and plywood(I can post some pictures if you want). As for my heat source I had picked up coleman propane burner from canadian tire, it fits very nicely into the base of my smoke hut. This leads to my question: It was brought to my attention that fumes from the combustion of the propane could interfere with the taste of the meat and that a combustion chamber and exhaust pipe must be built so as the fumes from this combustion will not encounter the meat. But then I thought that we cook with propane and the food is directly above it on a BBQ. So I guess my question would be: Do you guys think I need to build this chamber so as the fumes from combustion of the propane will not encounter my meat?

Thanks for your time,

Dane

What Richtee said, but you will notice extra condensation on you smoker walls which is caused by the combustion of the propane.

I think you were referring to a gas grill in your quote above when you called it a bbq----this may offend some of the Texans!!! Just mess'n with you Dane!

Yah I was referring to a gas grill! Thanks for you help.

Make sure that you get enough primary air so it wont soot up on you. You should have a mostly blue flame that does not lift from the burner and you should be fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky