Propane Burner for 300 gallon oil drum build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dhoskins

Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Hi all, I'm working on a 300 gallon kero tank build. The tank is 10 gauge steel, about 5' in length, and 3' in diameter (mounted on a trailer of course). It is partitioned in the middle by a piece of 12 gauge sheet metal, effectively creating 2 cooking chambers. It will be indirect grilling, as the fire in the bottom will be seperated from the cooking racks by a water pan. My question is about propane fired burners. I'm looking at using a BG10 in each side, probably with a 20 or 30 psi regulator. The burner is not long enough to reach the center of each chamber...is it possible to cut the burner inlet, and weld in a section of pipe to increase the length of the burner? Has anyone done this? Would it affect the operation of the burners?

First off Welcome to SMF............  I have seen it done but only on the internet. Those burners are cast iron so you will need the right weld process for steel to cast iron. May I suggest a pipe burner. If you do a search for pipe burner build instructions I posted step by step instructions on a welding site on how to build one at litte cost......

I need to do another instruction here for SMF.

Good luck an dont forget some pics of your build

joe

Thanks for the info. Pipe burner looks simple enough. What kind of BTU could I get out of one of those? My only concern would be if the heat would be sufficient for the size of grill. What psi pressure regulator should I use?

Darrell

Are you talking about something like this?

7ab869d6_furnace_burner2.jpg

138a7c2a_furnace_burner3.jpg

Hey DH, welcome to SMF!

Joe (boykjo) is being modest, I'm pretty certain the smoker in his avatar has a pipe burner in it, anyway here's the link he is talking about, kinda got stepped on and hijacked at the end, ...but he has the proof that it works:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=28224

If you have any questions I'm sure Joe would be happy to help ya, we're like that here at SMF. 
biggrin.gif

Also we love pics, so don't forget to take some of your build and then the Q-view.

Gene

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky