Processing Week 2022...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Off to a good start...Brother got a 7pt. in velvet on opening day of bow season.
IMG_2027.jpg

One down....many more to go!

I look forward to the final day, you really do a lot of meat at once.

Looking forward to all the goodies that will be coming in the near future!

Nice start!!! It's unlikely I'll get any deer this year unless its a cull spike or something like that BUT my cousin is showing me pictures of dozens and dozens of wild hogs around his penned off corn feeder (we can use feeders in TX) and bugging me to come take as many as I want.
Other good news!! I just got my new 6.5 Creedmoor back from Savage. I sent it in for a tight chamber. They confirmed, reamed, polished, tested, and sent back!!!

Looks like I'm chambering multiple rounds with ease and in rapid chamber testing too! I'm going to run a day/night digital scope on it just incase I need to take pigs day or night :D

Also looking to get my new 308 ready as well. Initial handloads showed promise. I think another session or 2 at the range and I'll have about 1/2 inch groups at 100yds. 6.5 load development still needs some work though.

Man I'm so EXCITED to hunt again!!! Great post indaswamp indaswamp !!! :D

Reactions: bauchjw
The deer wheeled down and away from him at the shot @27 yards. So the arrow entered a little farther back and higher than anticipated. Still caught the liver and one lung. Deer only ran 60 yards. Cousin started tracking for 40 yards but only found drops because of the high shot, then blood trail ran out. Called in the tracking dog just to be safe with the kid shooting. Dog found it in short order....they were 20 yards from the deer when they stopped trailing. But, he probably did the right thing with a kid behind the bow.....
Deer was on the ground 2.5 hours before the dog found it. Coyotes had just found the deer and took a couple bites out of the hind leg and the exit wound. Not much loss though.

Reactions: jcam222
That's awesome!!! I bet he was thrilled!
Taking a deer with a bow is no easy feat and a that age it had to be super exciting for him and hopefully he gets to process too now :D

Got the call @ 7p.m. tonight from my buddy..."Hey man, you want (2) 100# hogs?"

My answer- "Well Hell Yeah!"

WOOOHOOO!!!!!

Buddy- "Meet me at my house in 25 minutes. We gotta drive to the launch to pick them up."

So we did...
IMG_20211030_194511645.jpg

Hogs were MUUUUDDDDDY! Dragged through the swamp to the boat. Shot right at the end of legal light for deer. Hogs had not been dead an hour yet when we picked them up.

After a stop by the Carwash, $3.50 later they were clean from a nice power shower...
IMG_20211030_202429554.jpg

Old man my buddy knows had his niece in the deer stand with him today. The hogs came out at 5:30p.m. and she wanted to shoot them then. Grandpa said, "lets wait and see if a deer steps out. But if not, and they return, then you can shoot them." Well, deer never showed and hogs step out. She shot them both right at the base of the skull and spine. Awesome! No bullet hole in the meat...and no bone fragments to deal with!

I got them gutted then drove to the firehouse....got them packed in Louisiana snow in the bed of the truck....
IMG_20211030_215821794.jpg

...will skin and quarter out into primals with the sunrise tomorrow. It'll be 45*F here for the low so they'll be good till morning.
And THAT my friends....is a Louisiana Saturday Night!!! LOL!!!

Last edited:
I estimate the hogs to weigh in at 75# and 110-115#. I should get two good coppas out of the larger one. All together should have about 80# of meat off both hogs. I'm thinking honey ham stix, maybe some wild hog boudin, and a big run of wild hog smoke sausage... Save about 20# or so for processing day to mix in with deer for breakfast sausage.

Good score told the brother in law who hunts in an area with hogs sometimes I want one or two to grind we'll see what happens. I don't have any around my place and that's both good and bad

Reactions: indaswamp
Will check the fat off the hogs by frying a small piece in a skillet. If it is clean, we'll use it in the sausage. Always make cleaning go faster when you don't need to trim fat off....just large tendons and glands.

Got the pigs skinned and broken down into primals and on ice. It was real nice and cool this morning...coolest of the year so far, 46*F. Great weather for breaking down pigs. Finished up around 11am and it was 55*F. I'll let them sit to cool back down overnight and debone tomorrow afternoon.

Got the call @ 7p.m. tonight from my buddy..."Hey man, you want (2) 100# hogs?"

My answer- "Well Hell Yeah!"

WOOOHOOO!!!!!

Buddy- "Meet me at my house in 25 minutes. We gotta drive to the launch to pick them up."

So we did...
View attachment 515017
Hogs were MUUUUDDDDDY! Dragged through the swamp to the boat. Shot right at the end of legal light for deer. Hogs had not been dead an hour yet when we picked them up.

After a stop by the Carwash, $3.50 later they were clean from a nice power shower...
View attachment 515018
Old man my buddy knows had his niece in the deer stand with him today. The hogs came out at 5:30p.m. and she wanted to shoot them then. Grandpa said lets wait and see if a deer steps out. But if not, and they return, then you can shoot them. Well, deer never showed and hogs step out. She shot them both right at the base of the skull and spine. Awesome! No bullet hole in the meat...and no bone fragments to deal with!

I got them gutted then drove to the firehouse....got them packed in Louisiana snow in the bed of the truck....
View attachment 515019
...will skin and quarter out into primals with the sunrise tomorrow. It'll be 45*F here for the low so they'll be good till morning.
And THAT my friends....is a Louisiana Saturday Night!!! LOL!!!
That's awesome! I'll have to plan some time to go hunt pigs at my cousin's lease Maybe over the holidays :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky