Pro 100 Spares

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
So I had a rack of spares all thawed and ready to go but the fact that it's 113º every afternoon had me not wanting to fire up the offset, didn't want to babysit the fire in the heat all day. Thought about using the Weber with the SnS but the rack wasn't going to fit unless I chopped a few ribs off. Then it hit me, use the Pro 100, about as close to set it and forget as it gets for me. I plugged it in and set it for 225º, while it was heating up I slathered the rack of spares in yellow mustard and then gave then a liberal coating of chilerelleno chilerelleno 's Basic Hog Rub. Put in a pan of hickory chips and got the ribs on the rack, smokin' away.
DSCN1176.JPG

Had to change the chips about every 90 minutes, three hours in
DSCN1985.JPG

Finished the bag of hickory chips and switched over to apple, naked all the way and no spritzing. After about seven hours the ribs passed the toothpick test even tho my TP-20 was reading 175º so I pulled the rack and brushed on some SBR
DSCN1986.JPG

Plated up with some beans I had going on the patio stove, tater and Caesar salad, nice glass of cab. Ribs were juicy with a great smoky flavor, perfect bite
DSCN1987.JPG

I was pretty darned happy by the time I sat down to this dish. Didn't heat the house up and what's left will work in the microwave just fine. Try to stay cool, stay safe, and thanks for lookin' in. RAY

Fine looking plate of ribs! I dont think I could handle the temps you have every day. We have been in the 90's and thats enough for me! The boys have been in the water as much as posible!

Lookin good Ray . I have some tips I trimmed off some spares I need to do today . Going in the 30 I think .
Ribs and beans ,, great meal .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice job on them ribs ray!

Thanks Jake, I could just about live on chicken and ribs. Always yummy and doesn't break the bank. RAY

Don’t blame you on not tending the fire. Looks good

Thank FB, I can't see firing up the offset till things cool down, this heat's brutal. RAY

Great looking ribs Ray! I’d be happy to sit down to a plate like that. Stay cool!

We're in the pool 5-6 times a day Joe, seems the first dip gets earlier every day. It really takes some getting used to when I get up at 5am and it's 90º when I walk outside to get the morning paper. My old springer used to fetch the morning paper, Bob doesn't appear to have much interest in learning tricks, spoiled rat! Thanks for the Like Joe, I appreciate it. RAY

Great looking ribs Ray! Nice to have a electric rig for days like that!

Thanks John, I love that smoker. Bought off the floor at the Cabelas in Boomtown on the way home from a winning gambling trip in Reno, it was free!. RAY

Nice rack!

Thanks Norman, and thank you for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Ray, That is a very fine looking slab of ribs.

Thank you Stuart! Hope you're staying cooler and safe down that way, looks like the fires have cleared up a little. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Fine looking plate of ribs! I dont think I could handle the temps you have every day. We have been in the 90's and thats enough for me! The boys have been in the water as much as posible!

I'll tell you Travis, this heat takes some getting used to! Most of the time if I need to get something done it's got to get done early. Now it's so hot, so early, I'm doing absolutely nothing all day but drinking beer and dipping in the pool, which when I stop and think about it, ain't so bad! RAY

Great job. Sometimes improvising works out really well. Those ribs look awesome.

Thanks Mac! They actually came out a lot better than I thought they might. The spares took quite a bit longer than I thought they were going to, which of course leads to a lot more drinking time. I might just stop using a temp probe on spares altogether, start poking them with a toothpick after 5-6 hours. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ribs look great Ray! I always enjoy the commentary on your posts, keep up the posting for my sake please.

Thanks Tander! Hell, I'm retired and it's too dammed hot to be outside. As we all know, if you don't post it, it never really happened, which is one of the reasons I didn't post up a pizza that I burned up and threw out the other night. Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Lookin good Ray . I have some tips I trimmed off some spares I need to do today . Going in the 30 I think . Ribs and beans ,, great meal .

Thank you Rich! Spares, beans, slaw, and tater salad go together like peanut butter and jelly. If there's a better way to spend the day than quaffing a few brewsters and smoking some ribs I sure don't know what it'd be. Thanks for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: tander28
Nice job Ray!! Ribs look slick and tasty, that's for sure. I too reverted to the Easy Bake Oven over the weekend for my beef ribs. Was just too hot to stand over the pit all day. It's great to have that fall-back for this time of year.

Robert

Looks real good Ray! Al

Thanks Al, and thank you for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Nice job Ray!! Ribs look slick and tasty, that's for sure. I too reverted to the Easy Bake Oven over the weekend for my beef ribs. Was just too hot to stand over the pit all day. It's great to have that fall-back for this time of year. Robert

You bet Robert! It's too hot to stand over the pit and too hot to cook inside and heat up the house. With three smokers, the flat top, and gas stove setup on the patio all I really have to do is come up with ideas and then get off my butt to execute them. Thanks for the Like Robert much appreciated. RAY

Nice lookin' ribs Ray! BIG LIKE!
I did some the other day also, great minds think alike buddy! John

Man, I hope you are enjoy those cool nights up in the high country John, we've had the AC going 24/7 all week! Gracias por las amables palabras de mi amigo, los aprecio. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Nice job on those ribs! That whole plate looks tasty, with the beans and salads. Not sure I like your heat but we been in the 90s and high humidity, just pray for windy days! Lol

Ryan

Great looking Ribs Ray! Whole plate looks excellent. Stay cool and stay safe.
Thanks for sharing.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky