1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Primo XL Oval VS Kamado Cooker

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by shenlun, Sep 8, 2010.

Which Would you Buy

Poll closed Sep 25, 2010.
  1. Primo XL Oval

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kamado

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HI

I know this sounds very similar (like comparing a set of twin sisters) BUT I am looking at purchasing either product. I am new to the whole bbq/smoking thing, but my wife and I love the natural flavor of smoked products. We also HATE cleaning ovens and by the sounds of it these tick both boxes. We would then (when purchased) do 85% of all cooking on it (apart from boiling potatoes etc even though I am sure you can do it on them).

I live in australia and can get a Kamado Style cooker from a dealer from about 1600 AUD, with the usual extras, pizza plate, extra rack etc etc on a small stand (with side tables not a cart).

I have also seen a Primo XL Oval in the states for about 1500 USD with similar options. 

What I am wanting to know if what are you thoughts about which one I should buy. I am looking to buy in the new year!.

Thanks your input and time

Kind Regards

2. meateater

meateater Legendary Pitmaster SMF Premier Member

Personally I dont own either cooker. I believe a few folks on here own them and they might chime in later. From what I read they run hotter than what a smoker would. Smoking meat is a low and slow process usually at 225* F. A 14 Lb. brisket will take 10-14 hours give or take. I'm trying to describe in american standard scale so you can convert into metric. There are a lot of favorite smokers on this forum (all good). My personal favorite is a U.D.S. aka Ugly Drum Smoker.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/uds-ugly-drum-smoker

3. thats ok with imperial , i am used to converting; so in your recipes etc are fine in imperial. thanks for your comments