priming question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Southern Cali.
I was wondering if someone can help me? Currently i am brewing 3 gallons of hard cider and i need to know how much sugar i need to add to prime it.

What kind of yeast did you ferment with?  The reason I ask is because of expected final alcohol content.  When I do my cider, I use champagne yeast (final ABV=12-13%).  Once you have a product with that high of alcohol, it is a little trickier to carbonate.  When I prime my bottles, I have to also add more yeast or else it will not work, because the high alcohol has killed off the yeast.

OOPS......Sorry, didn't realize this thread was a month old.

Last edited:
hey thanks for the reply better late than never lol the yeast i used was lavin ec1118 and i got a FG of 1.005 i don't know my OG since it didn't have a hydrometer at the time. But already bottle it. It seem to be carbing up OK i tasted it about a week ago and it had some carbonation but i didn't taste the way i want it to taste. So am going to let age a few months and try it again!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky