Prime Rib (Tied with best one I ever ate)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
looks fantastic bear

i like the rack and pan idea, that could come in  handy many ways

i'm thinkiing seafood or fish or meatloaf or meat balls or pork or .............

and you could put all kinds of liquid in the pan

I gotta get busy!!!!

Looks like you got the Prime Rib down to a science
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

If you keep this up you will be (PRcarver) 
roflmao.gif

Another very fine smoke, Bear! You mentioned somewhere in a reply, something to the effect that the bark may not be quite the same with racked meat in a pan, and that is true. The pan tends to baffle the heat somewhat, and with liquid moisture real close, it tends to steam a bit more...really humid invironment.

My last ribeye was open grate all the way, but with a wet stock water pan as I didn't really want a bark. I do find certain dry rub bases can effect the bark as well, with some developing a good bark in a slightly dryer environment, and others which don't promote bark development at all, staying softer and some even getting sticky.

Anyway, I LIKEY!!!

Eric

Since we don't eat a lot at one time any more, that means a Prime Rib Dinner costs us less than $5 per meal.

That's cheaper than McDonald's! 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bear
Agreed. I'm still eating USDA Prime NYS for ~$5 a meal as well. I've been paying right around $10/lb for Prime ribeyes or Prime strips. And I've adjusted to better quality meat, so I'd rather have a smaller portion (8oz portions) of better meat, more often, than having a large Choice steak once or twice a month. 

Sure beats eating McDonalds for the same price, any day! That's for sure. 

Looks like a healthy dinner, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Great job Bear. I think I am going to be doing another one as well very soon. Probably for Valentines day. Where the heck do you get those racks for $1? Or are you just pulling my leg on the price?
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
RB---They're called "Cooling Racks",

I got mine local for almost $2, but I only bought 3 of them.

Below are two places I found on the Web.

They are selling the 8" X 10" cooling racks for $1.53 and $1.35 each.

I'm betting if somebody was to call them, and agree to order 50 or 100 at one time, the price would be around $1 Each.

$1.53 Each:

$1.35 Each:

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International-/Wire-Pan168460

Bear

Since we don't eat a lot at one time any more, that means a Prime Rib Dinner costs us less than $5 per meal.

That's cheaper than McDonald's! 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bear
Agreed. I'm still eating USDA Prime NYS for ~$5 a meal as well. I've been paying right around $10/lb for Prime ribeyes or Prime strips. And I've adjusted to better quality meat, so I'd rather have a smaller portion (8oz portions) of better meat, more often, than having a large Choice steak once or twice a month. 

Sure beats eating McDonalds for the same price, any day! That's for sure. 

Looks like a healthy dinner, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing.
These are actually "Choice". I wrongly call them Prime Rib like just about everybody does. My "Choice" Prime Rib is much better than any restaurant's PR I ever ate, even if they used "Prime" Prime Rib.

Bear

These are actually "Choice". I wrongly call them Prime Rib like just about everybody does. My "Choice" Prime Rib is much better than any restaurant's PR I ever ate, even if they used "Prime" Prime Rib.

Bear

I know, and it's ok. 
biggrin.gif

The PR looks fantastic, no matter the grade. 

Thank You Very Much for the kind words,

tyotrain

RdKnB

Dean

Craig

Shooter

Bear

Great Job Bear!

Questions:

1. Did you like Hickory or Cherry better?

2. Is Mrs. Bear liking smoked meat now?

Todd
Thanks Todd,

#1   Hard to say---I think maybe the Cherry.

#2   No---I cut the outer inch off of hers, so she doesn't get much smoke. Then I eat the trimmings from hers.

She gets all perfect pink meat without smoke or fat. I get the best stuff.

Bear

looks fantastic bear

i like the rack and pan idea, that could come in  handy many ways

i'm thinkiing seafood or fish or meatloaf or meat balls or pork or .............

and you could put all kinds of liquid in the pan

I gotta get busy!!!!
Thanks Rick !

I was pricing roasting pans, with a wire rack in them, and I thought "You gotta pay all that money for them, and you still have to wash them!!"---Why not get throw-aways!

Bear

Looks like you got the Prime Rib down to a science
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

If you keep this up you will be (PRcarver) 
roflmao.gif
LOL---Thanks Rap!

Bear

Looks Great Bear...
Thanks Paul !

Excellent looking prime Bear....you nailed it again.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Thank You too gotarace !

Bear

This looks really good but a little pricey for me maybe if I find one at Costco I'll give it a try... What kind of rub did you use?

This looks really good but a little pricey for me maybe if I find one at Costco I'll give it a try... What kind of rub did you use?

Just CBP, garlic powder, and onion powder, on top of a coating of Worcestershire (thick).

I got 6 meals out of this hunk of goodness----That's about $5 per meal---Cheaper than MacDonald's!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky