Prime Rib and Yoshida question???

Discussion in 'Beef' started by oneshot, Dec 23, 2009.

1. oneshot

oneshot Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Has anyone ever used Mr. Yoshidas on prime rib and then added their rub on top of that????

Where the heck is Ronp when ya need'em[​IMG][​IMG]:icon_questio n:

2. walle

walle Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Oneshot,
    Actually found some at Sam's this last weekend so I HAD to buy it! Going only by the finger taste test, I would use it sparingly given how sweet it is, but IMHO a little couldn't hurt.

For those of you who have only enjoyed Yoshida's via RonP's posts, it tastes like a very sweet soy sauce.

You gotta share with us how it turns out - I'm looking for a quarts worth of ideas!
    Tracey

3. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

I tried last weekend and didnt like it. Ill stick to poultry with yoshidas myself. Just my personal taste you might like it.

4. nwbhoss

nwbhoss Smoking Fanatic

It is excellent on chicken but I would be afraid to try it on a Prime Rib [​IMG]

5. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It is way too sweet for my personal taste on anything but chicken or maybe some shrimp. Used it for years to make terriyaki chicken for our catering jobs. Let us know how it turns out

6. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Agreed. really good stuff, but prime rib is too tasty on it's own with just salt and pepper to put Yoshida's on.

7. oneshot

oneshot Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Thanks for all the input. I did taste it and I have to agree that it's to sweet to use on a prime rib. I'm gonna stick with putting on EVOO before the rub.

8. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you sear it first it will carmelize the sugar and it will not be sweet. Gives a nice color without the sweetness.

That's just me though.

9. nickelmore

nickelmore Smoking Fanatic

The sams club in Joliet only had the hawian sweet and sour.

What flavor do you use most Ron? Does Sams usally carry all three flavors?

10. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm with Rivet on this one to. I wouldn't waste the prime rib with adding a differant flavor to it. They taste just fine and if you are hard set on yoshida's then get some flank or something. Prime rib only requires salt and pepper and garlic in this household.

11. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I have used it on Jerky, it is sweet and has a liquor type smell, I plan on trying it with ribs 1/2 yoshidos and half barbecue sauce